1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Who maintains their ins over the winter?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by cpllawncare, Oct 19, 2012.

1. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

I really want to drop my ins over the winter at least for nov dec and jan is this feasible?
  2. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Why? you might not get it back.
  3. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Why would you drop your insurance? Do u not work in those months?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. cpllawncare

I pretty much shut down, and I want to save as much of my reserve money as possible for next year.
  5. newguy123

newguy123 LawnSite Bronze Member

Grandview made a great point. Commercial insurance policies can be more difficult to re-obtain than your typical auto policy.
  6. cpllawncare

I wasn't sure how easy it would be to just reinstate it come March?
  7. RSK Property Maintenance

RSK Property Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

why not advertise more and try to get work for those months? I have to keep mine for plowing but otherwise i don't do much in the winter, last winter i actually did a lot of tree work from this crazy storm we got oct. 31st. I know there is still a lot of damage from that storm around here, hopefully i get some tree jobs from it this winter so I don't lose my mind, november and december are easy to stay busy enough, its january and february that get really boring unless its snows once a week, or more which it has done here quite a bit.
  8. cpllawncare

I have advertising going on constantly year round, that's the one expense I won't drop, I was really super slow last year but I didn't have near as many accounts as I do this year, but I don't think it will be hugely different.
  9. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I have my truck on my business policy too and I plow so it's not something I would ever do. What if someone stole my equipment? What if a tree comes down and smashes my dump trailer. What if there's a claim against me for something I did earlier in the season? I don't have any payments due on my policy in the winter anyway, but it sounds foolish to me to drop your coverage.
  10. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

the points you stated were all good and i agree with maintaining insurance over the winter. but ill clearify one part for you. the claim for a customers property damage goes off of the insuance you had at the time you did the work. You could do a job today, drop insurance tommorow and two years down the road if there is a claim, your insurance company you had yesterday would be the one responsible. We saw this a couple years ago when we switched carriers, we had a claim from an earier job when we had a different cariier. The old carrier was the one we filed the claim with not our carrier we were currently using.