1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

who makes 6 figures? walk before you run

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by georgialawn88, Feb 21, 2013.

1. georgialawn88

georgialawn88 LawnSite Bronze Member

I know theres a thread about a million plus but for those that make 6 figures and only work solo or have 1 employee lets hear how you grew your business and got started and how fast it took u to get there...:usflag:

2. bmoorefield

bmoorefield LawnSite Member

Gross or Net

3. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

If all goes as planned I should be able to comment on this thread by the end of this season! I have two part time helpers, one of which will be fulltime this year to get me into six figures. Im talking gross not net.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

the true meaning of "by the skin of your teeth"

30K per full time 12K per part time leaves only 28K for overhead and profit :(

5. GMLC

Your not kidding. These next few transition years are going to be the hardest for my company. I can no longer take on anymore work without hiring fulltime. We have had to turn away way to much work. I need to either stay as I am and do well for myself or take a hit on net profit for future growth. Believe me when I say this has been one of the hardest business decisions I have ever made. Im in the dreaded middle zone where its stay small or not. Growing pains are tough!! Also keep in mind its only a 27 week season in NH so fulltime is under 20k.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  6. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

5 years, a lot of work and sacrifice went into it. I agree with GMLC going from solo to getting over the 6 figure hump is sometimes painstaking and costly to expand. Budgets need to be adjusted to the growth and the owner takes on an ever increasing role until it makes sense to hire office people.

7. georgialawn88

georgialawn88 LawnSite Bronze Member

profit/net

8. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

I'll change my statement then

A solo netting over 6 figures is next to impossible in NE

I know one solo guy who grosses over 100k but he works every day rain or shine

9. GMLC

To net 100k means your going to need to gross a minimum of 400k. Not sure a one or two man crew could do this. I guess anything is possible. There is always an exception.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. bmoorefield

bmoorefield LawnSite Member

GMLC is right on the mark at 25%, at least you guys up there in NE had a big snow storm to keep you busy this year. My only advice to growing a business is growing slow. I started in High school with a push mower just to make a couple $$$ for myself. I didn’t know it at the time but I have a passion for the work and business. I wanted to learn more about how I could provide a better service then the next guy with a mower. So I decided to get a horticulture degree which also opened up another avenue to make money applying pesticides. By no means am I a huge operation but I have a couple employees and I am still growing and learning. Good Luck to reaching your goal.
    Who knows maybe next time you post this will be asking who is at the $500,000 mark.