Who makes a good 21" for $400 - $500??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Moonlight, Apr 16, 2006.

1. Moonlight

Moonlight LawnSite Member

I'm shopping for a new 21" self propelled. Who makes a good one for $400 to $500? Things I am looking for are: Easy bagging system, very good mowing quality, mulching ability, easy starting (for the wife). I have looked at the mowers with swivel front casters....any thoughts to those?

2. The landscaper

The landscaper LawnSite Senior Member

I saw one exactly as you are describing for 400. It was an Ariens. Does it anybody know much about Ariens?

3. Honda, Honda, Honda, Home depot about 550.00. bought 2 last year and they are very nice, one for my house and the other for small areas on my route.

4. sgallaher

sgallaher LawnSite Senior Member

Bought a 21" Toro last year for about $300 and it runs and cuts great.

:usflag:

5. Yup, I've got one with swivle front casters. They suck. No practical use whatsoever. On the slightest grade the mower wants to run away downhill.

Dave

6. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Swivel casters are not meant to hold a hill, they are designed to be manuevered easily along wavy landscape edges.

The home depot hondas have gotten decent reviews on here, they are within your price range.

7. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Snapper makes a top push.

8. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

Toro Personal Personal Pace Super Recycler. Mine has held up well for a few years. It was used moderately (4-5 times a day) for at least 2 years, and now is used on my own yard and as a backup. Girlfriend likes it better than the 21" Proline because it is lighter and easier for her to maneuver. Have not used the homeowner Hondas, but I hear they are good, too. My personal recommendation is the Toro. Some of the Personal Paces these days even have a BBC. They might be closer to $550-600 for one, though, I have not priced them recently. Great mower, though. Close to commercial quality and great cut.

9. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

You cant hold a straight line with one of those caster wheel mowers. also most look pretty cheesy, will bend real easy.

10. lawnrangeralaska

lawnrangeralaska LawnSite Senior Member

Buy cheap you will regret it everytime. Buy a commerical honda $1069 on sale.