Who makes a good transit (laser level Style)?

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by JakeKnows, Jun 17, 2010.

1. JakeKnows

JakeKnows LawnSite Member

I do a lot of hardscaping and want to know what brands other scapers use and abuse. I currently use a David White scope style level and I need to upgrade to a laser level that is fairly problem free. All feed back is welcome, thanks in advance!

2. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

I have a CST Berger auto level. We dont use it everyday, but it has taken a fair amount of abuse over the years. To have a laser would be nice, but we get by without. With that said I would strongly consider their laser products when the time comes.

3. Hangtastic

Hangtastic LawnSite Member

CST/Berger and David White are made by the same company now. All of their optical instruments are Chinese junk. Their rotary lasers are assembled in the USA made mostly of parts from china but are relatively good units.

4. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

I have used over the years older commercial David White units made in Canada plus I have a CST/Berger cheapie now.
    The CST is the best value per dollar expended - I really don't think you'll need a $2K laser transit and receiver like the commercial units. I think I paid just under $400 for the CST and the repair I needed (a bubble level leaked) cost me around $65 plus shipping/handling.

5. landl

landl LawnSite Member

6. streetscrapin16

streetscrapin16 LawnSite Senior Member

CST is the way to go!

7. bike5200

bike5200 LawnSite Member
    from Ky

Spectra Physics, but I think it is now Spectra Precision Laser