1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Who makes Craftsman Professional mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joelbutterworth, Mar 26, 2010.

1. joelbutterworth

joelbutterworth LawnSite Member

I heard Bobcat makes the mowers for craftsman.
    It this true?

2. EvenCutLawnCare

EvenCutLawnCare LawnSite Member

I don't know for sure, but I kind of doubt it. Do not be confused by "professional". Manufacturers have been using that term (namely craftsman) a lot lately which leads people to believe its commercial. Professional does NOT mean commercial.

I'm assuming those mowers are still made by MTD, not bobcat.

3. JimQ

JimQ LawnSite Bronze Member

4. Triplex

Triplex LawnSite Member

I've been known to use both terms interchangeably in my posts. I think labeling homeowner machines "professional" to mislead customers is dishonest.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  5. AOD

AOD LawnSite Senior Member

I had thought Simplicity made the Craftsman zero turn mowers. I'd rather have the real deal, as to not make people assume that I have some POS from Sears.

6. RLS24

RLS24 LawnSite Bronze Member

I know that the 36" belt drive WB is the same as the old tried and true Lesco/MTD/Cub Cadet Commercial design with a crappy Briggs motor on it. not sure about the ZTR never seen one in a store around here.

7. KarlP

KarlP LawnSite Member
    from MA

8. flykelley

flykelley LawnSite Member

I have a friend who bought one for his runway, Sears told him it was made by Bobcat. He hates the thing, never can get the mower deck level, rides like crap. He says he will never buy another one again from Sears. I told him I will bring my exmark over one day so he can compare the two.

Mike

9. Lawncrazzy

Lawncrazzy LawnSite Member

The Sears 36 inch walk behind is the same as the Cub Cadet G1236. I recently purchased one from Sears for just over $600.00 on clearance. Did some research and they are identical. This is the first walk-behind of this type that I have owned and there is a bit of a learning curve but it is cutting very nice. I am not a professional, just a homeowner who is a bit over the top with the lawn.

10. DJJS

DJJS LawnSite Senior Member

I saw one of the craftsman 36" walkbehinds today and was just at my stihl dealer the other day, they sell cub cadet too and they look like the exact same machine (Craftsman/Cub Cadet) with just a different sticker on them, didnt check the specs I'm big fan of either brand though