Who makes the best compact ZTR?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by The Hokie Okie, Apr 20, 2004.

1. The Hokie Okie

The Hokie Okie LawnSite Member

I'm looking for a ZTR because I do a lot of pretty big residential stuff but I need something that I can use eveywhere and will be economical. So I need it to be 52'' or less. I have good Hustler and Exmark dealers in my area and to me both mowers look great but I didn't get a chance to demo there compact ZTR's. What about Dixon, Cub Cadet, and Bad Boy Mowers I don't see much written about them anywhere. I guess that should tell me something.

2. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Check out the Hustler mowers, there is a link to their site from this forum, top notch gear.

3. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Planning to go the Hustler route, myself. Seems to be quite a few people that like the comm. Cubs, and someone might even like a Dixon. The Bad Boys do appear to have some nice features. Everyone buys what they think is the best, and should perform the best in their environment. Expect many diff. opinions. I like all comm. grade mowers myself. The Bad Boys would seem easy to maintain, with it's easy-access swing-away side panels.
    Going to try out a friends new Exmark Lazer 19/52 tomm. (had to borrow his Bobcat hydro today, while mine is semi-down.....nice to have friends!)

4. The Hokie Okie

The Hokie Okie LawnSite Member

I also like most commercial grade mowers. But the little things I usually don't notice. I went and looked at dixons yesterday and they looked kinda cheesy compared to everything else. What are the pros and cons about Exmark and Hustler. ( To me there isn't much difference except the color and name) Thanks for the advice

5. BiggFooT

BiggFooT LawnSite Member

Dont know much about the Hustler, but I own a 52" Exmark Lazer HP with a Micro Mulch system. I am telling you it chops that grass up like sawdust and leaves the lawn looking smooth as a baby's behind. I went with the 20 HP Kohler engine and it was plenty of power (not even sure they offer that engine on the 2004 line). It is a great machine with good brand support. When it comes down to a couple of brands that are equal in quality and price, then look to the customer support issue to help make your decision. Test the waters. Ask for a demo of each brand and see who delivers. Ask questions and see who answers. Ask for references (other consumers of the product) in your area. Call them and see how excited they are about their macines and if they have taken them in for service work, and if they were please with the service, etc. Happy shopping, and let us know what you end up with.

6. seven-up

seven-up LawnSite Member
    from la

I've been very happy with my grasshopper. It's a 52" with a 25 HP Kohler give it PLENTY of power. It's a tough machine.

Couple reasons I picked it over other brands is that it has a single 10 gallon tank instead of dual tanks, no having to switch on the fly. That was just a personal preference.

Also, the controls were mounted on the side console. They aren't located under you're feet or mounted on a side gas tank. I jus't didn't like the idea of the electrical wires that close to the fuel as they are on other brands. Again this was just another personal preference.

Remember to demo the brands that you are considering. Quality of cut, power, etc are very important, but some of the "little" things matter in some cases (see above).

Good luck in your search. Get the machine that most suits YOUR needs.

John

7. seven-up

seven-up LawnSite Member
    from la

ewps, sorry bout that. you said compact ztr's.... that grasshopper is not.

john

8. GrassBlaster

GrassBlaster LawnSite Member

I've got a Gravely pm148z, and I love it. 21 horse 48" cut and hydraulic deck lift/lower.

9. soccerlawn

soccerlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I love my Toro Z100, and it has a 44" deck so it can get into the small areas.

10. msloop77

msloop77 LawnSite Member

Grassblaster,

How do you like your Gravely, been looking at getting one or an exmark hp with the kaw 21hp. How is the quality of the cut on the gravely, plenty of power. I would be mostly mowing above 7000ft, being in steamboat springs, don't want to get a mower that doesn't have enough power. mark