Who manufactures spindles?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tinkerer, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Tinkerer

Tinkerer LawnSite Senior Member

I searched all over the site and wasn't sure where to post this but here I go. Who makes blade spindles? I'm working on a prototype lawnmower and am looking for a supplier for the spindles.

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

If you can draw it with a CAD program www.emachineshop.com can build it. They have free software to design the part.

3. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

and if you can't draw it with a cad program, I can. Sometimes it pays to have a degree in design and drafting.

4. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

If it's a proto type do us future buyers a favour and use a standard, easily available spindle. If you are having a hard time finding a supplier we will too. I prefer to buy machines that I can buy parts anywhere from not just at a Dealer for the machine.
    I would look at some of the better mowers and use the same spindle as them. Don't try to reinvent the wheel when it comes to a simple thing like the spindles, save that thinking for the new features you plan on putting on this mower to make it better than anything available now.
    Remember Ford's thinking. keep it simple.

5. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

6. Tinkerer

I tried the thomas register last night with no luck. Maybe I should look under quill. I'm hoping to get a deck with at least 4-5 inches of depth by using an existing spindle on the market. I went to Jerrys small engine supply 4 years ago his prices seemed a bit high. But a really nice guy. There are already 6 companys out there making this type of mower and I think theres enough room in the market for me to get a slice of the pie. I'm building it simple. I've done a lot of wrenching on mowers, trucks and cars,,, both foreign and domestic and I HATE working on something thats not service/repair friendly. If this product does well I have a handfull of other products I want to bring to the market that would need more capital to manufacture. Several of them would be new in concept. One could be called a crossover concept machine that many of you would love to have in your garage. Can't really say any more than that.

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

If you are going to be designing your own deck, I can tell you straight up what spindle to get.

You need to get the spindles Lesco/Cub uses on their ZTR's.
    You'll thank me when you start the build and you'll thank me more when you start field testing.

8. Tinkerer

O.K. then whats the part # for that spindle? Is it made by an outside supplier and/or aftermarket replacement company or does just Cub and Lesco make it? I am designing my own deck. I don't have any engineering training but have a brother that is that can give me some pointers. I have built/modified stuff in the past and most of the time an ideas is much easier to imagine than build. I have been bored for several years without a good challenge. This is the challenge I want.