Who may be plowing on Christmas?

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by Alan, Dec 24, 2000.

1. Alan

Alan Member

Forecast (depending on who you listen to) for NW Vermont is (Pick one) A dusting

2-4 inches

3-6 inches

I'm ready for whatever one (if any) is correct.

2. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Maybe a dusting to 1" my way. I put everyone on notice, just incase.

Geoff

3. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

We got 12" today. We're just finishing up with those places that HAD to be done today. Most everyone is closed. We have 12" more coming tonight. We'll be back out at 2 AM, hopefully done by 6 AM so guys can go home to enjoy at least some of Christmas. Then back out at 6 PM to do 'em ALL for Tuesday morning.

Could use a few day break, and it looks like it might come over New Years.

4. tjg

tjg LawnSite Member

Not very often do we even get 3" or 4" of snow a year, but this year we have already had 6" to 8" a week ago and right know we are getting ready to have (under warning) 6" to 12" for Oklahoma this could shut everything down for a while. I sure am gald I bought that new 773 Bobcat a month ago, I was hoping we would have some snow to pay on it.My christmas wish is coming. I got everything ready for this storm this am, now I'am out of town and will be back ready to work christmas day or evening, they said the storm is slooow moooving and will last about 3 days.

5. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like I'm gonna have a quiet week as far as the snow goes. I keep hearing rumors about the potential of a pretty big storm on Wednesday though, but Intellicast and weather.com aren't saying anything about it.

Hmmmm.... either way, I'd better get healthy.

-Tim

6. tru cut

tru cut LawnSite Member

We got about an inch this afternoon thay are calling for up to 3" but it has quit right now and the stars are out I will get up and check tonight just in case.

7. Mudrtrukr79

Mudrtrukr79 LawnSite Member

Pittsburgh is expecting 2-3 inches between now and Christmas night , not enough for a plow but before I left work yesterday I loaded a full 10 ton on the truck , set the tailgate chains , opened the auger plate,and put the tire chains on (Pittsburgh DPW trucks are 90% 2WDs). If anything jumps off all I have to do is jump in the truck open the tailgate and start my routes . Hopefully I wont have to. John, my hats off to you guys in Erie both public and private, it may be flat but damn is it deep.A friend of mine just recently moved to Erie to work for Apria home health care and hes constantly telling me about regular snowfalls that would paralyse Pittsburgh. MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL AND TO ALL A PLOW FREE NIGHT

Dan

8. RB

RB LawnSite Senior Member

Dan,

Just saw you a DPW plow driver. Hats off to ya. You guys deserve some respect. About two weeks ago I had a small parking lot plowed near Mellon Arena and was having trouble getting my spreader to spin (auger stuck). A DPW plow driver (without saying a word to me) drove in the lot took one spin around and spread salt. He gave me a "thumbs up" and off he went.

I take care of some commercial lots in downtown and several in Mt. Washington.

Do you ever have the pleasure to shovel on the Smithfield St. bridge? (just kidding)

Maybe I'll see ya around.

Ron.

9. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Just got in from plowing - 3 AM on Christmas day! The war doesn't stop for holidays!! ;) We gave the guys a couple hour break so they can go to church this morning and make their calls home, etc, but then we're headed back out at noon to clean up.

Hope everyone has a merry x-mas!

10. Yes here in the snowbelt we can get up to 4 to 6. thought it would hit sunday but no luck. Thats the way it goes gotta do it when the white stuff hits,Merry Christmas to all and good night. jammin