Who mowed in the good ol' days?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by treemonkey, Jul 29, 2007.

1. treemonkey

treemonkey LawnSite Member

Anyone here old enough to know the history of the LCO phenomenon?

As a kid some 40 odd years ago, I don't ever recall seeing LCO rigs parked around town with crews mowing business and residential lawns.

Who did all the mowing in the "old days" and on what kind of equipment?

Why is there now a whole industry revolving around lawn care vs. the "old days"? What prompted this change?

Just curious. Thanks.

2. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

3. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

What he said

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I seem to remember that most properties were done by the homeowner

5. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

I did part of it. Just yesterday my brother and sisters and I were going through Our folks papers and the like. Came across the receipt for a 66 cub cadet.$865. (not cheap in 66). and the record book for lawns dad and I mowed. I was 13. Our prices varied from $2.50 for small town lots to $16.50 for an acreage 10 miles out. Dad would drop off the mower on his way to work. I'd ride my bike to town and mow. He'd pick it up on the way home. WE both went on Saturdays. So thats how some were done. Exactly 40 years ago.

6. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Ward always sent the Beaver out to cut the grass Saturday morning!:)

7. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I think nowadays there's so much emphasis on convenience...and that a person's free time is valuable...I don't think that was the case even 20 years ago. Besides all the LCOs you have tons of maid services, dog walking companies, etc. I would think that would be one of the biggest factors.

8. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

In the old days people didnt have acre or 2 acre yards. If they did they had a big rider.

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

When I started part time 30 years ago almost all yards were cut by homeowners except I noticed that the old people needed help. And they worried about keeping the lawn looking good.....and they worried about paying on time. Big lots and field were cut with farmer kind of bush hog machines.....

10. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

As a kid thirty six years ago my dad bought a used Cub Cadet tractor with several implements for $1200. Big bucks in 1971.
    Once the novelty of the machine wore off my two older brothers would never get on that thing for mowing, snow pushing, tilling, nothing. I ended up learning how to drive on that old hydrostatic tractor and when the family moved it went with use to the new homes from Illinois to Florida and back again. Some of our houses sat on, for then, quite big lots of 2 acres plus.
    When I went in the Army in early '83 that thing was still running strong. I seem to remember my father selling it for what he paid for it twelve years before.