who mows after working at a full time job

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jarroo's lawncare, Mar 17, 2005.

1. jarroo's lawncare

jarroo's lawncare LawnSite Member

how many of you have a full time job and mow in the evenings after work, if so how many lawns are you capable of handling and are you in a rush to get it done before dark.

2. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

I work full time, and then mow and work after work and on weekends.
    yeah, it gets tight in the fall when it gets dark earlier. last year I had 11 residential, and one commercial. this year moving up to 15 total to see how it goes. it's the only way I can make it work with a family to support, I need to take it one step at a time. eventually (3 years) I will move to full time only lawn care, but this is my plan to get everything in order until then.

3. spcfoor

spcfoor LawnSite Senior Member

I work full time and mow in the evenings and on the weekend. Last year I had 10 resi and 1 comm. The only problem I had is when it would rain all week and had to do everything on the weekend. This year I have cut back and am going to umpire youth baseball. I am also getting my certified applicators license to offer full service to the accounts I have landed so far. Next year I would like to lawn care full time and umpire baseball in the evenings. We will just have to wait and see what happens.

4. chambers 38

chambers 38 LawnSite Member

I have 25 accounts residential I am doing in the weekends and some after work.
    I am going to become part time at my current full time job this next week we just had 5" of rain in the past 2 days and can see the grass growing.
    Its had but well Worth it considering I won't out of my full time job now.

5. Daddio

Daddio LawnSite Member

I have been mowing part-time for 20+ yrs; 25-30 yards. Between Uncle Sam and the wife there's just enough $ to keep me coming back for more punishment. Every yr I tell myself I'M NOT DOING THIS NEXT YR; BUT HERE I GO AGAIN!!!!!!!!! Is there help for this? It must be a disease.

6. christmas79

christmas79 LawnSite Member

Yes I say the same thing to every year! :blob3:

7. rixtag

rixtag LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lehi Ut

I too work full time and this year I will have 5 res and possibly 1 commercial and as some have said the weather and the short days can really mess with your head.

8. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

The lack of walls is a feeling I love about this type of work. No idiots looking over your shoulders too. I work a third shift job so I can do this in the daytime. My plan is to work into a part time position at my "Job" when I have to. I've only a handful of residentials right now but, am expecting to get a small chain of convenience stores this year.

9. jarroo's lawncare

jarroo's lawncare LawnSite Member

i don't get off until 5 so i am worried that i will get covered up and lose customers and I think part time is out of the question because i work at a lawnmower parts store and it gets really busy in the mowing season so i might find a new job.

10. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I dont work a traditional job but I average 56+ hours a week and another 20 in overtime. Some nights I get 4 or 5 hours of sleep at most and then mow the next day.
    It gets in your blood and becomes second nature. I actually thrive on the stress although its probably killing me.