1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Who mows churches?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Joel B., Mar 29, 2004.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

I would like to target some churches (no cemeteries) in my area as they are just the right size for me. Here are some of my concerns with churches:

Do they have enough money to pay someone every week to mow?

Do they expect a lot of "freebies"?

Are they any more of a PITA than anyone else?

I did a search for "church" and got 30 pages of posts. Hoping to get the condensed version.

Joel B.
  2. bayoulawn

bayoulawn LawnSite Member

I have never not been paid by a church.
    I always let them pay by the month as that is usually how most churches conduct business.

And they know who's watching!
  3. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

They are they best paying accounts I have. never ask for freebies.
  4. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I plow churches, and they are the fastest payers that I have. However, most churches, lately have all been buying their own mowers, and they can always get some retired guy to do the mowing for them. My own church is the same way, the only time that they call to pay, is everytime something is supposed to be done and the volunteers never show up. They are a great source of revenue, if you could get enough of them.
  5. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

I mow 2 churches - the one church get a full service from us ie aeration, fert. and weed control, weekly scheduled mowing, edging, tree trimming, hedge trimming, snow removal, etc., etc..
    The other church is not in commision anymore and is empty. I mow and trim the lawn every 2nd week and the invoice goes to the regional office.

To answer your questions:
    1) Absolutly - they sure have enough money.
    2) No - never has they asked me any favors. When they want something done I will invoice the church for the work done and I get paid in full on time.
    3) I can do with a few more churches as they are the easiest clients to work with.

I gave my bid to the church's financial committe in November the previous year. They approved and signed it and the rest is up to me to see that the church yard and lawn looks manicured through out the season.
    I am doing these 2 churches for 3 years now and never had any problems.
  6. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

My church asked me to give a bid. I thought it wasn't right for me to bid at my own church and have them pay me. I would do it for free but they have 10 acres, 6 which are grass. So i would take to long to be free. But I am airating and triming the hedges for free. Another friend got it at $200 per week. They were paying $over 350 a month before. From what i have heard from friends that they pay on time, but over 12 months. Not bad, that extra money in the middle of winter is nice. I got two female customers that way. Their alimony check pays for the work, since their husbands are living there anymore.
  7. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Sorry, but churches are just another customer. So, frankly, it's impossible give you any help. You've got to do some leg work and talk to the person in charge and ask what they expect.
  8. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Depends on the church. I mow a couple and they seem to never have trouble paying me, never ask for "freebies". But on the other hand, the church i attend, wants the members to mow and plow snow for free. A few years ago the 2 members that do the plowing asked for gas money and the answer was nope. So, it just depends on the church.
  9. Gruneich Lawn Care Inc.

Gruneich Lawn Care Inc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from SD

Depends the church, seems like most around here, have there maintence guy do the grounds maintenace
  10. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I mow a church and they are a good customer, pay every month right on time, only thing and this isnt a problem but i found out you have about 100 or so members (depending on the size) watching and grading your work lol