1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Who mows lawns for $10 or $12?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by walterslawn&landscap, Apr 16, 2003.

1. walterslawn&landscap

walterslawn&landscap LawnSite Member

there is one in my neck of the woods and he is killing the biz.
  2. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a $25. min. I would suggest that someone speak to the guy charging a lot less and explain to him that it makes more sense for everyone in business to have their prices in line with each other. In my area I found that there is more than enough work to go around.
  3. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

How old is this person? Have they finished junior high?:dizzy:

4. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Well, typically, we have a $115 / mo. minimum - year round. But we do about 3 homes at $45 or $55 per month, year-round, which almost equates to $10 per visit. But these are places that only have front lawns, the lawn is about 5' x 10' and we are already dropping the tailgate across the street anyway. Takes us 3 minutes each week.

Anyway, you'll find all sorts of low-ballers in this economy. I was just talking to a guy whose been in the hi-tech industry for all of his life making great money. But he's been laid off. His comment to me was, "I can see a point where I may have to grab my mower and start knocking on doors to mow lawns. I am not too proud to do that." I think too many people are doing that right now. Economy is bad, people find ways to make extra $.
  5. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I have 2, $15.00 lawns
  6. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

My minimum is $20 no edging. Minimum of $25 with edging every other week.
  7. musselman

musselman LawnSite Senior Member
    from utah

I have one $12 and several $15...I figure Im making $45-$50 an hour on them thats with unloading...call me a scrub or a lowballer if you like I can handle it lol.
  8. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

9. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

To me there is no reason to make $12-15 per lawn if the market would bear $25. per lawn. If all the companies (legit) had the prices in line that would be no problem. How many $12. lawns do you have to cut to pay taxes and insurance and make a living, while still taking some money to reinvest back to the company.
  10. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

unless they are right by each other, it's not worth my time for $12. i have a $25 minimum for residentials.