Who mows with clothes...?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turf Commando, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

This year, as I venture out in this biz, I will hire a helper, but no matter the heat or humidity, clothes will remain on to show professionalism..

In this profession, I understand spring/summer (heat) becomes a problem ..
    When do you let you crew slide, and allow shirts to be taken off ...

What's your (rules) on this issue...?

2. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

Never, it is extremely unproffesional. Wear light colores.

3. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

Light colored shirts are the only exception I ever make.

4. SNAPPER MAN

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

Never ever take shirts off. Wear under armour if its that hot, its what I do and it helps alot.

5. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

My guys always wear shirts (long sleeves) When I used to cut 10 years ago I'd take my shirt of on hot days. I was slim and not very self concious. If I were to cut today I'd always wear a shirt only because I'm a fat slob. Let's be honest and stop the BS If you looked like Brad Pitt in Fight Club You'd all be cutting shirtless. Whenever a young guuy in good shape takes his shirt off all the fat guys hoot and holler about professionalism. It's kind of funny

6. CuttinUP

CuttinUP LawnSite Senior Member

That is so unprofessional! Had a guy last year that I was helping him do his lawns with my truck and equipment. One day, it was about 102 degrees out and we where getting back in the truck and he takes off his wife beater shirt when we pulled off and rolled down the window and tied it to the side mirror. Not in my truck with the company name on the side! That was the end of that.:hammerhead:

7. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

If there is a possibility of encountering Africanized bees in your area, I would think that long clothing would also offer some protection from stings.

8. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Great Post! :laugh:

9. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

I'd take my shirt off, but the ladies would be all over me. I have to beat them away with a stick as it is.

10. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I keep a company t-shirt on all day. I take it off when I get back to the yard and am unloading at the end of the day. Then, once I'm leaving I'll usually throw on a sleeve less for the drive home unless I know I need to stop some place. Sometimes I drive home shirtless. During the work day though, I keep a company shirt on all day.
    I'm not in the best of shape but at the end of the day when I am just going home, I don't care as much. If that makes me look bad, well o well. I'm only human after all...