1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

who mulches!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by snowmizer, Sep 2, 2004.

1. snowmizer

snowmizer LawnSite Member

man i cant take it anymore.I have a exmark tt 48" that i put the mulching kit on, around june. since installing it was raining 5 out of 7 days religously and i had to do alot of double cutting cause the grass was growing like mad. so it gets to be late august i put the bagger back on , figure might as well fall is coming anyways.well we have 2 weeks with little rain and i am now reminded of how much i hate bagging grass. so my question is whats the hot set up when mulching? what blades to run? (i had factory mulchers) and how to keep the deck from caking so bad?
    I cannot believe how much time i saved mulching.I am a solo outfit right now and with the days getting shorter i need to speed it up!!!
  2. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the turf tracer just like you and when it is raining like this and the cool nites I side discharge all lawns, no bagging till the fall when leaves are heavy. The wavy blades seem to do the best for me, I tried low lifts, gator mulchers, and other blades and none did any good. I do not know why you are baggging the lawns. We have had a great year for growing grass here and the humidity and cool nites make it wet and thick to cut. If there is a row of hay after making first pass, I go back over in higher gear, doesn't take too long to do or I will use the brick blower(red maX 7001) to disperse the clippings and go on. I used to bag when it was thick but that is a real PITA and a half. It will cake up the underside of the deck with mulch kit, but you have to clean it more often....
  3. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

4. snowmizer

that is a sweet set up!! what about the inner baffles when side disharging? i end up bagging 50% of my yards mostly residential that have lots of landscaped beds just seems to be easier for me than trying to dodge them all
  5. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

Grass will still travel from baffle to baffle. Not as much as without but some still does. And what doesnt travel gets MULCHED!
  6. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

I did the same thing as Acute cut, in the above post, except i used a ocdc. I think his way probally works better, because when i close the ocdc it will leave a trail of grass. Im going to add the left over section to the old mulch plate like Acute did. When side discharging and bagging it works really good.
  7. snowmizer

so you can still bag if need be with that setup? how good will it bag for leaves? im putting my mulcher back on and will work on that setup acute lawn has. thanks for the info
  8. snowmizer

acute lawn,

so basically you just cut the discharge side baffle then welded it to the block off plate and braced as needed? can you still bag without leaving a trail even though the other 2 chambers are baffled?
  9. GTLC

GTLC LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I don't have a mulching kit but I do use Gator mulchers with side discharge and they work really well, any really thick lawns you mow won't be a very bigh mess of clippings.
  10. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

From original post : "keep the deck from caking so bad"

I learned this trick from a guy who retired out many years ago. Depending on the grass your're dealing with it may not work but here's what I tried. I used to mow a lot of perenial rye in the winter and it was usually wet so we power washed the underside of the mower deck and coated it with liquid floor wax. Everything when out of the chute and rinsed clean really easy. When we washed down the equipment and did our oil changing and greesing each week we'd reapply it. Worked well on our JD and Bobcat push mowers as well.