Who offers demo or introduction cuts for potential mowing clients...?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Exact Rototilling, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Frankly it doesn’t make sense [to me] that a homeowners would hire someone to mow their lawn and commit to it with out seeing their work first hand. Would you buy a car with out a test drive first?

Then again maybe most don’t believe there is much difference and a mowed lawn is just a mowed lawn. And edging is just edging scalped to the crowns vs. nice vertical crisp edges? :hammerhead:

For myself it has repeatedly come to my attention from my clients and their neighbors that my cut quality and attention to detail is outstanding and matched by very few in the area. Especially the vertical clean cut vertical edges that don’t turn brown in the summer.

Maybe I’m over thinking this again and people don’t want bother with a demo cut...just cut the grass already.

Your Input?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  2. Lefet

Lefet LawnSite Bronze Member

Demo? No.
    We do offer a free cut with a spring clean up though. But I'm not cutting anything for free.

I can see it now, they've waited until it's way past time, grass is 6' high and I'm going to offer a demo?
  3. Exact Rototilling

Sorry I left out part of the equation. :hammerhead:

I’m not talking a free cut. I was thinking a reduced price cut lower than say a normal going rate and/or a no commitment option so potential clients can see your work etc. Or even a full quote cut.

If a demo cut or intro cut is full price I would think the potential client would be more resistant to even bothering with the concept.

4. Lefet

Lefet LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe it just doesn't apply to us around here. Usually, when we pick someone up, there is a lot of work that needs to be done to "bring it up to our standards". If we pick them up in the middle of the season, say they were unhappy with their present co., we will try to honor the price they were paying provided it's not money losing low.

Maybe I'm just not the one to answer your question.
  5. Ticolawnllc

Ticolawnllc LawnSite Senior Member
    from Wall NJ

I second the motion. Price and go.

Any one asking for a demo is wasting my time and I need to end the conversation right then and there. Then I go to the next PAYING customer.

Let me be clear. Even at a reduced price some one aint getting paid. I pay my guys, I pay my fule. So in this case who is getting screwed? Me the owner. I don't work for free.
  6. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I did this one time for a friend's friend to try to get her yard. It took both of us about 20 min to do her yard. I was against the whole idea from the beginning. He was suppose to talk to her about it later at church. Two weeks later I ask him about it and he said "oh I forgot to talk to her about it". I DO NOTHING FOR FREE.
    Her grand kids got the job. I know they were anyway.
  7. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

No. This isnt a stain remover or a carpet cleaner. Its mowing the lawn.

People should know what a mowed lawn looks like and dont need free samples.

If the customer isnt happy. Theyre going to tell you that before they pay you. Thats good enough.

You want a free sample? Ill make one stripe. Like the grocery stores do. Stick a piece of cheese on a toothpick. They dont hand out whole blocks of cheese.
  8. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I think a demo cut for full price, and paid in full at the time of the cut is great thing to offer. There's really nothing to lose, and it's sorta like free advertising, plus it gives them a sense of security knowing that they won't be locked into anything. You may just pick up that customer because of that, and the fact that they get the chance to see that you really do know what you're doing, and doing it right at that. If they pass, at least you made your money for that one time cut, so you're out nothing.

If you offer it for a reduced price, they'll most likely question why you can't do it for that price all the time. They aren't gonna care about your bottom line, just the fact that you were able to do it for a reduced price, and expect you to all the time.:nono:
  9. Exact Rototilling

Yes I’d have to say this is the best approach. :waving:
  10. SouthSide Cutter

SouthSide Cutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Get most of mine by reference. But on any new one that I want I cut it free the first time. That gives me a good idea what it will cost, and should be alot faster the next time which will help me. If they like the service and price ok and if they dont ok. Works great for me. And havent lost one yet!!!!