1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Who Offers Discounts?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AdamCByrd, Mar 28, 2005.

1. AdamCByrd

AdamCByrd LawnSite Member

I'm trying to get started full-time. I know that word of mouth will get me business pretty quickly...once I show that I do a good job. As for now, I want to expand quickly.

Do any of you offer discounts for customers who refer another paying customer to you? I was thinking about offering $10-15 off (for an average sized residence) one service visit for every referral.

In addition, I was thinking of offering a 10% discount off my per-visit fee if their NEXT DOOR neighbor purchases my services due to their good reference. I figure that it would be well worth it in time-saved from driving.

Finally, I am considering offering a 10% discount off my per-visit fee if they sign on to a 12 month service plan (at least 29 visits in 12 months) pro-rated over 12 months.

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

2. Cigarcop

Cigarcop LawnSite Member

When I send flyers out I offer new mowing customers their 5th cut free. I figure they feel satisfied that their getting something free and I've at least received payment for the first four cuts before I give something away.
    Just what I do not saying its good or bad but sometimes it works.
  3. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

Never have, probably never will.
  4. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

One free mowing up to $25. Consider it a cheap cost to pick up a customer.
  5. JRAZ

JRAZ LawnSite Member
    from NW

Hear is our referral method: "Thanks a latte!" When someone refers a cst to you send them a 5.00 starbucks gift card. Simple, easy, and cst's love it, especially here in the Seattle area. When we get a big referral for an installation we may reward them with a gift basket or something.

~J RAZ
  6. MacPhersonlawn

MacPhersonlawn LawnSite Member

I offer a free mowing for any referral that is on the books for 2 months. Residential only, not available to Commerical accounts.

I also offer $25 cash to any employee who brings me a customer who stays on for 1 month. Hope it keeps some of them from working on the side (with my equipment!).
  7. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Never give anything away for free. Customers will think you are desperate for work and use it to try and get a lower price for service. I got nearly all of my current customers from referrals. The referrals were for high quality work at a competitive price...not because I did something for free or at a lower price.

If you start giving out free services or discounts, every customer that calls will expect freebies and low prices. It will cause you more headaches in the long run since the only customers that you'll end up with are the PITA's.

Build your business slowly on competitively priced, high quality service and leave the cheapskate bargain hunters to the low end grass-cutters.
  8. Cigarcop

Cigarcop LawnSite Member

I'd have to disagree with you, I'm not saying every customer I have gets something free but when your attempting to get new customers (not word of mouth customers) and they get 5-10 flyers, cards, hangers a season. I like to make it appealing to them to put mine on top of that stack.
    Like my post stated "not saying its good or bad, just what I do"
  9. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

Real good idea! I dont think i would give a discount in terms of $ off it would be to hard to raise them later. :waving:
  10. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Some good advice with these threads...I like the one about the coffee ticket...cost effective, simple, and a nice gesture...

Anyway, I usually give the customer a free cut if the refer me and it becomes a yearly contract.