Who on here uses guards or no guards on string trimmers?

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by Porcupine Lawn and Snow, Aug 28, 2013.

?

Do you use guards on your trimmers?

1. Yes, I do

66 vote(s)
    47.5%
  2. No, I do not

73 vote(s)
    52.5%
  1. a937539

a937539 LawnSite Member

I have a spacer that moves the guard back a couple of inches, so I still have a long string but i am not spraying grass all over my pants

2. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Guards are not worth the trouble they present when trying to get into tight areas. Same for those Edgit contraptions.

3. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

I use my guard, mostly because it hasn't broke off yet

4. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

My guard is on because I don't understand how a bump feed works without one and I've never read the threads that talk about it to see if anyone else has ever asked how it works.

If anyone cares to 'splain it to me, I'm all ears.

5. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

Its called the speed feed head :) your line hardly ever gets to long and if it does (I do this while the trimmer is running) and grab the head and turn the line in one notch or 2.

6. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Use the guards till they break off, then I don't replace. No need to

7. newguy123

newguy123 LawnSite Bronze Member

Why are they better off versus on?

8. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm a lost cause then because I bought a Speed Feed head and can't figure out how to get it to work. The included instructions are ridiculous.

Either way, "Speed Feed" really doesn't explain anything to me.

9. kgs1

kgs1 LawnSite Member

just bump the ground! LOL works same way with/without guard just lets more line out.. you have to stop before the line hits your feet!!! I go without guard because it just saves time... like Valk said, better for tight areas & also I like being able to walk past one side of smaller tree's & whip the whole tree..the guard hinders doing that....& I personally like more line out...

10. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

?What? Lmao you line the arrow up with the hole, push string through, pull to half way, then hold the top part with the arrow and rotate the bottom so the string winds in. No need to take it appart to rewind string. Also bump head works when you smack the ground with the and the trimmer spinning. The guard is not involved in the process.