1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

who ONLY cuts grass?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jul 6, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

anyone only do grasscutting? and please tell me why. today i did a job where the client has a lawnboy, who only cuts grass. we trimmed shrubbery, planted salvia and some yellow things, weeded, and put in mulch. in 5 hrs i made more than some people make in a week. why on earth would anybody ONLY CUT GRASS?
  2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

We will do all of what you just said. However 99.5+% of all our business is Lawn care only (cutting, seeding, fert, etc) as that is what I go after and I make 6 figures clear every year so that is why I do it that way.
  3. MMLawn

I even market our services as Lawn CARE only.
  4. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Lets see, today for example, 16 lawns and was home by 11:45 times an average of $28 per lawn so thats $448 and all i did was sit on my lazer. I do 99.9% cutting and .1% other stuff. Lets see 448X5=2240. Hmmmm $2240 in 1 week. Not bad
  5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I only cut grass for 33 of my 35 customers and if I could find someone good enough to do the other 2 I wouldn't do those. I only cut grass because that is what I want to do. If I wanted a job where I had to do things that I didn't want to do I would get a job working for somebody. There are plenty of companies around here that do only landscape maintenance, I let them handle it. And I am in the upper half of 5 figures with a 9 month schedule.
  6. MMLawn

Reminds me of a buddy of mine that is BIG in this business (mostly commerical). He was at his high school reunion and some snob type ask what he was doing now and he replied "I own a lawn care company" they said "OH, you CUT GRASS!!??" He replied "Yep, and I made $1 Million last year how did you do??" Them......silence... True Story all the way around.
  7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i'm certainly not putting anyone down. but, i tend to look at everything on my customers property that could make me money. i cut the grass, i fert it, i trim the shrubbery, etc, etc. why would anyone turn down the extra? again, just the other day, i picked up more work. i'm planting a few spruce, an arb, spraying creeping charlie. this again will make me a huge profit. these folks also have a lawnboy who only cuts grass. why, o why would you let that kind of cash slip through your fingers?
  8. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 LawnSite Senior Member

We will see what you think when in your fifth decade!
  9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe he doesn't know how to do the other work bg???
  10. Grass_Nerd

Grass_Nerd LawnSite Member

We'll see if you get paid by doing this extra work... according to your other posts, you get screwed pretty regularly. Maybe some don't want to mess with the hassle of doing "extra" work for people they don't mow for and having to deal with collecting/ not collecting.