who or what gives the department of ag the right?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Efficiency, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Efficiency

Efficiency LawnSite Bronze Member
    from zone 6

Just a thought - who or what gives the department of agriculture exclusive right to regulate our businesses? Where does it say they can dictate exactly what we can and cannot do? What happens if we refuse them the right to regulate us? Id imagine Id loose my company license but so what? Do the homeowners care that we are ODA licensed?

2. vencops

vencops LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Without a license in my state, I'd have a hard time purchasing RUP's.

And, I'd face fines, if caught applying without the lic..

I sure hope my homeowners care that I'm licensed. But, I think that's a pipe dream, unfortunately.

3. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

4. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

And EPA. My vendors would also care as well. They do not operate how normal feed stores, Co-Ops or TSC and LESCO do. The DOA enforces the portion of the label that states"for sale to, use and storage by commercial applicators only". Their interpretation of that is Certified Applicators only. Even if something is not listed as a federal RUP or state RUP.

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Do you all know how common this attitude is in the Green Industry????? Rather than me type any more response, just read my signature

6. greendoctor

Add to that sig how any moron can march into a vendor, buy whatever they wish with no regard for what is printed on the label.

7. Efficiency

Efficiency LawnSite Bronze Member
    from zone 6

and even with this attitude, Im pretty darn successful, Ric.
    I should have guessed the EPA was behind all this. I thought my lib meter worked better...
    Maybe we need some libertarians to run government for a bit. That would cut back this bureaucratic bs.

8. vencops

vencops LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I figure there's a reason I can't buy C4 over the counter.

Although you'll find me most times in the Libertarian line, I STILL think there are legitimate examples of government protecting citizens from themselves. I especially feel "some" intervention is warranted when the protection of others (from idiots) is concerned.

I am in NO WAY calling anyone here an idiot. I don't know you. I'm just saying "they're out there".

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Efficiency

Al Capone was real successful also.

BTW I recently change my political affiliation to Libertarian. I am socially Liberal and physical conservative which means I believe in the value of the EPA.

10. greendoctor

I am also Libertarian as well. As such, there is a principle carved in stone about you should be able to do as you wish, however that ends when what you do can directly harm others. Contaminating land or water with pesticides falls under that category. I highly doubt that a Libertarian would condone using 2,4,5-T for lawn weed control or methyl parathion for cockroach control given the hazard to human health as well as the environment by such actions.