who out there is using wing mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bubenberg, Jan 5, 2001.

1. bubenberg

bubenberg LawnSite Member

for about two years we have been using them and saved alot of money when we have large areas to mowe.
    about the only problem is to move them from place to place.
    anybody who is using kunz wingmowers out there with any ideas to solve this trailering problem

2. double e

double e LawnSite Member

I was wondering how the wing mowers did. I have a chance to buy a nice used one. I have several parks and appartments.

I have a used car trailer that I use for my tractor, I think it would be ideal for a winged mower, since no sides.

3. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

We use them to mow the parks, open fields, and the airfield on base. They are a great timesaver. There are some pictures on my website if you'd like to check them out.

Karl from Australia also uses them. He has some pics on my site also.

We usually road them wherever we need them, but I know you have a different story being out in the city. When we do have to transport them outside the base, we are luck, we have 5 tractor trailers, so we never have a problem.

4. bubenberg

i think i was not too clear in asking my question.

what i am looking for are either Swisher or Kunz wing/trail mowers. Swisher is very well known but i lean as far as capability and sturdiness toward Kunz's Acerase mowers which come in both finished mower and rough cut version. As previously mentioned i own two at this time nd am still looking how some of you load and transport them.

sorry about the confusion

5. Buy a 580-D.

6. bubenberg

The AcrEase Wing Mower (or a Swisher trail moweris) are self-contained mowers that has been designed from the ground up as a wing mower to be pulled off to the side of another lawn and garden tractor as a single unit, as left and right units, or as units in tandem.

am still looking for somebody out there to find out how they transport their rigs. large tractor trailer type hook-ups in these old estate areas and hills is out of the question.

7. bubenberg

ANYBODY OUT THERE USING THEM?

8. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

KUNZ is a sponsor this month at LawnSite.com so maybe we can get some more input. ??

Chuck Keough

9. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I have a swisher with a "commercial" Tecomseh. Definately not a commercial mower. Mine is the 44" 12.5 hp with two wheels on either side, I've had it for two years.
    I'm currently in the process of modifying it to a 4 wheel floater because it scalps very easy. After I finish the new frame, I'll mount it off the front of my JD345 and probably just use it for rough cutting. I can,t run 4 blades doubled because it has unique D shaped shafts. It has a relatively deep deck with thick metal, but thats the only positive aspect of it.
    I wish I'd never bought this particular model, but the ones listed from the new sponser mentioned above probably do much better because they have 4 wheels and may "float".

After I finish this set up I'll try to post pics. The frame is finished now, probably 2-3 weeks (have to remove snow plow and chains from 345 to get measurements).

P.S: maybe if we all ask nicely, the Administrators could get us a spell checker for this fine forum. LOL !!

10. Mike Paulsen

Mike Paulsen LawnSite Member
    from Idaho

Do you think you could pull one with a big walk behind?