Who owns a dump trailer?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Prestige-Lawncare, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Just wondering ... who on here owns a dump trailer? I am wanting one for myself, as I need to move a lot of dirt to my back yard. It is not accessible by a dump truck, but I can get a pick-up back there with a dump trailer. I could also use it to haul mulch to not only my yard, but maybe to neighbors yards in my area ... not to mention there are other uses in my family for a dump. I say this, because my brother has just about anything and everything you would want or need to borrow EXCEPT a dump trailer. I have borrowed all kinds of stuff off of him over the years, but he has never asked me to borrow anything (he has it all, or buys it). Just think! ... I could let my brother borrow something from me for a change! (I owe him big time anyway ... he has done many a helping hand job for me.

I'm thinking maybe 8x12 or so, low profile, heavy duty ladder style ramps, dump & swing gate. A friend has one, and hauls his Kabota in it too.

(Am I trying to talk myself into this or what!) ​

2. Prestige-Lawncare

I forgot to add that I need the dirt to fill in an in ground pool, and convert it to a pond.​

3. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

A lot of guys have dump trailers and swear by them. As far as access goes, you can put a tandem dump truck anywhere a pickup and dump trailer will go, and a lot of places where they won't go too. The only possible limiting factors are overhead obstructions and pavement damage from the weight. You would be amazed at where a solo dump truck can fit.

4. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I'm shooting for one as soon as possible.

Can't be beat for loading up a cleanout job. The dump truck bed is too high for hand loading.

As you said, mulch,dirt, equipment all work well with one.
    Haul 3 pallets of sod even in the smaller ones.

There's nothing like dropping off 6000# of crap at the landfill in less than 5 minutes.

If you can't keep it on the road working, rent it as a dumpster for people to do their own clean-up(garage,attic,yard, etc). Charge by the day and per trip to the dump. You drop the trailer and pick it up when they call. There are companies out there NOW doing the same thing but using roll off containers.

There was a guy working at the local concrete plant making $50 dollars on his way home every day hauling small loads of rock,sand,washout, etc.

If for some reason you find out it's not for you, dump trailers sell quickly (around here)

5. Big M LawnnSnow

Big M LawnnSnow LawnSite Member

I have a Super Cam-line 6x10 dump. Tandem axle rated at 9990 lbs
    I really like it for hauling mulch, stone. top and debris. even equipment.
    I sold a mason dump and bought the trailer and I'm saving money on insurance.

6. Rich's LS

Rich's LS LawnSite Member

I would go for the 8x14 with high sides.. You can haul around 20 yards of mulch in it. It may cost a little more but you won't be saying I should of. The dump trailer is the best thing I have.. I got tired of several trips to the dump and to get mulch. You can get the 8x14 high sides around here for about 6k

7. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got a Bri-Mar 6 x 10 with the swing & dump gate. I just used it the past two days to haul 4 tons of fill dirt to a customer and a tad over 4 tons of gravel. 4 tons is pretty much the limit for mine. I have a guy bring me 17 tons of fill dirt that I resell in smaller amounts, got a quarry nearby for washed gravel, etc.
    I built the sides up so I could haul 12 yards of mulch at a time.

I don't know about others but mine has paid for itself over & over again.

8. Prestige-Lawncare

Thanks guys ... you told me exactly what I wanted to hear! Now I have no reservations about buying one at all. I'm most certain I can use it enough (other then for my own personal use) to pay for it before I really get into my lawn service on a more aggressive basis. I have one more year of working for someone else, and then it'll be a combo of driving a school bus during the school year, and somewhat limited mowing and landscape services along with that.

As for being able to get a tandem dump truck anywhere a pickup and trailer will go ... I have one of those limited areas that you can not. Low tree limbs, limited space along property lines ... and the way you have to come in I also have to watch weight. I have over 20 years experience driving anything that will move (truck wise) ... and if it will fit, I can get it in there.

9. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Here's my dump trailer PJ 6x10

dump trailer 002 (Small).JPG

dump trailer 001 (Small).JPG

10. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

does PJ trailers have a website? i want to see if there are any dealers anywhere near me...thanks