who owns dumptrucks

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mikeshere89, Jul 30, 2003.

1. mikeshere89

mikeshere89 LawnSite Member
    from iowa

hoping for some feedback,

I just bought an older 83 6.2l diesel 4*4 dually one ton dump, i paid 3500.00 with only 58,000 miles on it. it also has the attachment for a blade on the front which i can buy from them for 500 (its a v blade) anyways ive been looking for a dump for sometime now and i think i got a pretty good deal. i was just curious what some of you guys use and how much money you actually make off of your dump, i was getting tired of shoveling dirt,mulch,concrete,limbs,etc etc etc out of my pickup all the time. and also if i had a choice i would have gotten a gas the 6.2litre has no power, wish it had fords drivetrain in it.

2. phillylawnking1

phillylawnking1 LawnSite Member

I have a couple dumps ,and I couldn't operate without them. The extra 500 is nothing compared to the money you will make with the plow.

3. mikeshere89

mikeshere89 LawnSite Member
    from iowa

i plan on buying the plow, althou this is my first year in business and going very well i have never plowed before. any tricks to it and what kind of prices do u charge for plowing.

4. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 89' F450 rack body dump that we use everyday and I couldn't do without it. I also have 2 pickups but for any landscape work they' re good to throw tools in the back of and get guys to the job but that's about it. I had days this spring where we moved 45 yards of mulch a day with my dump. For cutting grass pickups are ok but any landscape work you have to have a dump. I also have a plow and sander on the dump and a plow on one of my pickups.

Check out plowsite.com if you wanna know about plowing

5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I beg to differ about those 6.2 litres having no power. I have an '82 GMC half ton 6.2 that will tow 7,000 easily. It won't go extremely fast uphill, as it's a diesel, but it will tow just about anything. Things will get strange going down a hills, but any truck will get pushed towing 7K, but most trailers with that kind of capacity will have elec. brakes, so it's not a huge problem. Just take it easy. On a plus side, they are good trucks. Watch the trannies, they will go out on you. I had the original one rebuilt just under 2 years ago and it blew up on me 130 miles from home about 3 weeks ago. Good luck with the dump! I wish I had one!

6. GLAN

GLAN Banned

There is no way I could do what I do with dump trucks

7. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

A dually that is only holds "one ton"? That seems kind of light to me.

You'll love the dump truck, and after awhile you won't believe that you used to work without one.

8. Mike Bradbury

Mike Bradbury LawnSite Senior Member

sarcasm? One ton TRUCK. Load rating on my 90 is 5,000lbs.

9. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

No sarcasm. Now I'm really confused. Your truck weighs one ton empty? My F-350 weighs 6,000lbs empty. Maybe we are talking about different things?? :confused:

10. Mike Bradbury

Mike Bradbury LawnSite Senior Member

sarcasm? One ton TRUCK. Load rating on my 90 is 5,000lbs.