who pays for the fungicide?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jul 6, 2001.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

in past seasons i have subbed out the fert programs, this year im licensed and do it myself. the programs i offer consist of pre-em +fert, fert, weed +fert, grub, fert, and lime. ive had two customers call and ask for a fungicide treatment, granular applications of baylon cost me $30 per property just to purchase the product. it came as a shock to me that both of these customers thought that this treatment would be free of charge since they r paying for a fert program. the contract clearly states what the program consists of. what do u all think. thanks
  2. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

I include a statement in the contract saying that because fungicides are costly and not always necessary they will be an additional charge when they are needed. It is then the customers choice--I give them the breakdown of how much it will cost to apply fungicide and how much to renovate the damage that could occur if no fungicide was spread. I also know which properties red thread will break out on and talk most of them into preventative treatments which is 1/2 the application rate. I have 2 customers together---1 gets bayeleton before and 1 after the initial sign of Red thread. They will both get it bad, but the preventative application shows little , if any, damage. The other customer always will then explain that it didn't work on their property. Too Late !

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

Fungicides are to prevent or cure a disease problem.
    In my vast experience less than 10% of lawns get so
    bad that they need it.You should in no way pay for
    it. Does the doctor give you free antibiotics when
    you get sick? No. You should have a substantial charge
    for this service. Also, you should advertize a program
    that includes preventative disease control with a much
    higher price. Most people will take their chance that
    they WONT need it.If they do-well,you buy it and move on.
  4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

good idea, next year i will sell programs with the option of fung at an additional charge. thanks guys
  5. dhicks

dhicks Member

This may be paranoia but if I see or think I see any fungi on a customers lawn, once finished mowing, etc, I spray my mower tires, blades, trimmer and my shoes with a diluted solution of bleach. Some of my properties are one and two acres. Bayleton to treat that much area would cost a small fortune.