who pays for this mistake?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by bobbygedd, Sep 9, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

ok, a customer calls, and wants stone put in. u measure, do the math, u tell them they need 10 ton, at $140 a ton. halfway through the job, u say, uh o....something is wrong. u muffed the numbers up, some how, some way, u screwed up. u need 13 ton to finish the job. do u tell the client u need extra stone, and it will cost more? or do u just buy it, finish, and not say a word?

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

$420 is pretty difficult to "eat it" yourself. I'd try to explain the need for more stone... "we used a bit more than than expected due to the ground being so wet, we wanted a firm base...." I guess next time i'd try to leave something in the estimate stating qty of material can fluxate 25% or something.

3. LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Be honest with them. Tell them you goofed. Most of the time, they will understand and pay the extra $$$$. If they are tight wads, then you're stuck, and bite the bullet. Good luck

4. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

Come right out and tell them you made a bad calculation on material. I don't think this is a big deal. Most people are fairly reasonable & they'll understand. I don't think anyone would expect you to eat the cost of 3 ton of rock.

5. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

Did you give them a "bid" or an "estimate" ? If a bid, its your mess up and you eat the cost.. Estimate, well thats why they call it an estimate......cause you estimate the cost.

6. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

what kinda of stone cost 140 a ton is that installed?

7. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

epic hit it on the head. estimate is estimate, even if it was a bid, when you submitted it i would have put in a little discloser explaining that ground conditions etc could effect material quantity. so you dont make this mistake again bobby

8. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

spread it out thinner and call it good. just kidding, if this is someone youve been working with they shouldnt be that rigid on an honest miscalculation.

9. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

I agree that $400+ of rock is a lot to eat. Tell them whatever you feel they need to know, then simply add "If you would like it done right the first time, I need to add more rock, which will be an extra $xx.xx Maybe you can eat some of it, oh, say $100 or so, after all it is your fault for miscalculating. Good luck, let us know what they say and how it turns out.

10. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Do the job for the quoted figure & use it as a learning experience. It's not like your losing the $140/ton, only the materials and some labor. If you told them that its $140/ton and will be approximately 10 ton +- 1 ton, then thats another story. You were off 30% on YOUR estimate. That's too much of a mistake for the client to make up. Maybe they could pay for the materials, but thats all.

Good luck