1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

who perfer wearing shorts than pants, no hat and no long sleeves?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joel29m, May 6, 2012.

1. sim

sim LawnSite Member

For me it's always shorts and a t shirt. I can handle the debris hitting my legs while trimming but its embarrassing to wear shorts out with all the small marks it leaves on my shins, so I slip on a pair of bib overalls before I trim. They slide right over my shoes and are on and off in seconds.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Dayglo yellow pocket t-shirt, shorts, and Croc thong sandals and a wide brimmed Tilley hat with dark safety sunglasses. I do hire out my trimming and my trimming guy wears shorts, t-shirt and tennis shoes and I can't get the goofball to wear a freaking hat but, I do provide safety sunglasses.

3. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Shorts - I trim smart & with low revs, so less painful flying debris. Although, the idea of some removable chaps (W E Chapps) certainly sounds intriguing.

Performance T-shirt under a cotton short sleeve button-up work shirt -> keeps me cool...but I LIVE for Summer's heat & humidity.

Vasque Breeze mid-top (with Goretex XCR) hiking boots. No pain in my feet at the end of the day OR the next morning = PRICELESS.

Full sun protection hat that covers my ears and neck...absorbs the sweat well.

Sun/safety glasses w/o a hat makes for a lot of glare & reflections...not to mention streams of sweat to blur your vision. But, to each their own.

4. chuacro

chuacro LawnSite Senior Member

When I started out I wore t-shirts and shorts. I sweated alot and had to hose myself down before I took a shower. I now wear a long sleave shirt and long pants with insulated underware. I come home and brush off my pants and then change clothes. I feel more comfortable in this setup.

5. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Yea once it hits 70 degrees out come the shorts. Wear them from April till the beginning of Oct normally. I like tea shirts and the color doesn't matter if its chilly ill have a hooded sweat shirt that I can take on and off as needed. And I hate hats no thank you on that, just oakley's and headphones. And a new pair of work boots every year anything lower then 8 inch sides and I seem to twist my ankles all the time. As far as weed wacking goes I might have 190 plus lawns with 80 on my personal list but I trim fewer then 4 a week. That's what employees are for and the bigger mowers should do the bulk of the mowing since its more efficient and since that one is mine I spend most of my lawn days either mowing or blowing off.

6. Snapper Jack

Snapper Jack LawnSite Senior Member

There's an old expression from the old timers here "Swamp A$$" must be difficult for you while wearing IU all day:laugh:

7. SSmith

SSmith Banned

The guy doesn't even shower? Just brushes off the grass and goes about his biz? That's disgusting.

Here in Cincy yesterday it was 85 with 100% humidity. By 10:30 I was drenched in sweat. Try wearing long underwear in that weather...see how that goes. Now try doing that in July and August. Um, no.

8. superdog1

superdog1 LawnSite Member

Shorts and T shirts all day long. It is fairly easy to run a trimmer without spraying stuff all over you. While there will always be a rock or two hitting you, be a man and take it, Lol. :laugh:

I don't get poison oak/ivy, so whenever we run into that, my guys just point at it and laugh. They are amazed when I go over and tear it away with my hands. Once I get adjusted to the heat, the A/C stays off! That just kills me when you get out of a cold truck into 95 degree heat. It's like getting hit with a bat!

9. quadsport09

quadsport09 LawnSite Member

Im about to post my thoughts and I see this guys post and Im not gonna bother! I agree completely haha I dont get poison and I know how to weedwack that I hardly get any grass on my at all everything shoots away.
    I wear shorts and a tshirt/tank top 9 -10 months a year including msotly when I do firewood in the winter as I rarely get sick. I bring a hooded sweathshirt sometimes for when Its freezing. I do wear a hat as I dont want skin cancer but besides that I stay as least clothed as doesnt scare customers away :p

10. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Croc sandals and a wide brimmed hat? Thats the offical attire of northern tourists at Disney.:usflag: