Who plows snow?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mbella, Jan 27, 2005.

1. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

I hope the moderator's allow this thread to remain here. How many of you guys plow snow? I have to admit that I love it (maybe because it has been a third of my revenue in the past year). I enjoy the break from landscaping and embrace the opportunity to generate more revenue in two days of plowing snow than a month of landscaping.

2. jreiff

jreiff LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

We plow snow. I also love to plow snow. Give you a break from landscaping. Has been one of the slowest years in a long time. We just have not been getting the snow here that we usually get. Which hurts the business alot, but that's what you get when you rely on the weather to make money.

3. jreiff

jreiff LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

mbell- What do you run for snow removal equipment? Do you ahve alot of accounts? Residential/ Commericial?

4. mbella

I own 4 trucks: 2 F-250's, a 1-ton dump and a GMC w-7, all equipped with plows. Also, I own a Kubota L-35 with a cab and heater and I just bought a skid steer. The Kubota has a 7' power angle plow attached to the three point hitch.

I utilize five subcontractors. The subs supply a skid steer, backhoe, and five trucks. In addition, I have about 20 laborers for sidewalks.

I started on my own last year and I subbed from Omni Landscape Group. This year, they were acquired by Valley Crest Companies and now I am subbing for them. All of my equipment is on one site. It is a campus for one of the pharmaceutical giants. I service exactly half of the site. It is my second year on the site (with my business) and I really like it. I was actually on the site for about five years with a previous employer.

5. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

We also plow snow. The money is GREAT!, but the long hours and hardship on the equipment is hell! :cry: But in order to be a full service company it is a necessary evil.
    We are not quite as big on snow as you are Mike. We have 2 2500hd's 1 w/ 8.5' straight blade, 1 w/ 8.5' V-Plow. We also have a 3500 dump w/ 8.5' straight blade. (all Western), 2 Fisher 1000 salt spreaders, 12 laborers, CAT 232 skid steer w/ snow bucket, and 2 additional dump trucks for removal.

Chris

6. mbella

Hey Chris, check this out. I was pissed at the guy that did this. I wanted to fire him, but guess what, I was driving! This happened last week during that little storm we had. Even though I have insurance, it ruined my day. Then came that weekend storm and it made it all better. That's one of my guys trying to get the bumper off.

7. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I plow,only 2 trucks, a Mitisi and a Chev 2500. Only 25 accounts, each route is about 4-6 hours long. Most all my plow accounts are also lawn accounts.

Gene

8. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I plow snow as well in the winter we put out 3 trucks mostly residential,but I do have 3 small parking lots that I do with no salting.

9. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Mike, We must be twins! I did the exact same thing to my truck only it was the rear. I backed into a concrete baluster(sp.) at a storage complex we do. $3,900 later........I was an inch away from taking out my new Fisher spreader :cry: I will try to post a pic later.

Chris

10. greenngrow

greenngrow LawnSite Senior Member

Got 2 plows and salt spreaders. BUT NO SNOW :angry: