Who Prefers Walk-Behind Blowers To Backpacks?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by groundsguy1970, Nov 20, 2001.

1. groundsguy1970

groundsguy1970 Banned

Now that I have my w/b blower I'll NEVER use a backpack again! What a waste of time and noisy too! I just love my Billygoat!:D

flower-pot.jpg

2. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Really??? I only use my WB blowers if absolutely necessary. I prefer to use a good back pack blower than those anyday. Too big and hard to maneuver in tight places. I have three shindaiwa backpacks. Two 630's and one 480. They get used all day long in leaves. The walkbehind blowers hardly get used.

3. MATTHEW

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

You need BOTH. My little wonder can clear light leaves and those pesky little twigs in nothing flat. But if I get near the beds with it the mulch will end up in the neighbors lawn. (how can you get into beds with a WB?)

4. gogetter

gogetter Banned

groundsguy, are we just talking leaf season, right?
    Surely you can't use the w/b all season.

This is my first year and I only have 1 h/h and 1 b/p, but with leaf season I see now that I need a w/b too! Will have to wait 'til next fall though.

5. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i use both. the walk behind little wonder for the major amount of leaves, and the backpack to clean out the beds and crevices.

6. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I have been burned by gas so I'm not keen on strapping an engin to my back, but. There is a time and place for each type of blower thats on the market. I tried out my buddy's new Shindowa b/p and will have to brake down and get one next year. It will be a lot more productive in certin areas than hand helds and a lot easier to manuver on slopes than the big push blower.

Gene

7. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

small tiny yards a walk behind blower is useless and i perfer the backpacks, however the back packs get heavy after a few hours and make your back hott. i like to use my billygoat the most but only on flat yards. the perfect combination is backpacks and a walkbehind because the backpacks get small areas, beds, in between cars etc and when the pile gets so many ft high then use the back packs to push the pile over and continue with the walkbehind.

ps i was using the new billygoat with 10hsp briggs at dusk the other nite and it had been on for almost and hr non stop and the muffler was bright red but only down near the fan housing, the top half of the muffler was fine. has anyone else noticed this or should i bring it back to my dealer? and no there were no leaves on the muffler.

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Yep, they do get RED HOT. Your mowers will do the same if they're working hard. Just so happens that WB blowers are always under a pretty good size load. My old '68 Cub cadet with a one holer Kohler used to glow cherry red when at night blowing snow!

9. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I did change my wheels on the front of my wb blowers. I put the bigger tire with the castor on it. Makes it easier to manuever. Its an extra $100 for it, but I think its worth it. I still prefer backpacks. :)

10. groundsguy1970

groundsguy1970 Banned

I have to agree that you can't get into everywhere,but for open areas or parking lots? Forget it! I don't even carry my backpack anymore.:cool:

The only bad thing is that sometimes I'll nail someone with a wind blast in high traffic areas!;)