1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Who Prefers Walk-Behind Blowers To Backpacks?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by groundsguy1970, Nov 20, 2001.

1. I like the backpack but it's weird - I get motion sickness from 'em!
  2. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

Both are invalubale, usually when where doing leaves well get two guys on push blowers and two guys with backpacks in the begining and after the beds are done one guy will usually jump on the mower and start pushing the large amounts of leaves. I don't see how you could do leaves with out either one.
  3. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

We use 6 b/p blowers only.
  4. No push blowers here. Too heavy. My Red Max EB7000 will keep up with most push blowers,
  5. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Lawngodfather is right to a point...

The Redmax 6200's & 7000's work great for beds and some turf areas, but when the piles of leaves get too heavy an high, put one operator on a little wonder 8 HP I/C split stream p/b while another guy simultaneously skims across the top of the windrow ofleaves and the next thing ya know... there is an audience of "hawks" at their windows looking on at total amazement o what is getting accomplished in such a short period of time!!

Bythe way, when the 6200's came out a few years ago, I told my dealer to advertise thm as "AIR CANNONS". They have almost the testoterone of a 5HP p/b.
  6. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

I need them both. They each have a place on my trailer.:) ;) :) ED
  7. We just blow bed out with the blowers. The rest of the moving of leaves , is done with Peco Vac's on Lazers.
  8. crs

crs LawnSite Member

Those "air cannons" are rated at 4hp @6500(?) rpm. So they come pretty close to the 5hp push blower.

I had told myself I was going to buy a push blower this year but I decided on another Redmax instead. I do mostly residentials so it is just more controlable.
  9. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

A few days ago I saw a PTO blower on a Stener or Toro at a golf course. We were driving by so I didn't get a make.

Then, I saw a John Deere machine with a front mounted PTO blower, that looked like a front mount, and it had a plastic enclose cab. Same idea as a push blower but a heck of a lot more horsepower, CFM, and rough-terrain ability.

Anyone heard of these?

10. scottt

scottt LawnSite Senior Member

I am going to school and one of my professors is a golf course superintendent. Just yesterday we had class at his course. I saw one of those blowers you're talking about. He said almost all golf courses use them and they mount on the front of fairway mowers. He uses them to clear the fairways of leaves and twigs.