Who provides Health Insurance for workers?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Landscraper1, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Landscraper1

Landscraper1 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Southeastern Ma.

I would like to know how many of you provide health insurance to your employees. If you do can you answer these questions?

1/ What percentage of it do you pay?
    2/ If they are lay-ed off in the winter, do you continue paying that percentage?
    3/ Are you thinking of making any changes in the future, regarding health Ins.?

With the way the economy has been affecting my bottom dollar, I need to make some cuts. I have been providing health Ins. for over 15yrs. I pay 50% and continue paying even when employees are lay-ed off in the winter. I was told by my accountant that they should be responsible to pay the full amount while lay-ed off.

4/ Do you agree with my accountant?

Thanks, any input is appreciated.

2. srl28

srl28 LawnSite Bronze Member

Not saying I don't agree with the accountant, but just not sure how that would fly with your guys. I'm sure they would hate paying for something like that, especially a benefit, during the slow off season and beind laid off.

Don't currently have/pay benefits for my guys but its something I've considered for a long time.

3. Landscraper1

I was going to take extra out of their check each week to put towards paying the winter months.

4. GrassesGuy

GrassesGuy LawnSite Senior Member

I'm medium sized and can no way imagine even affording health insurance even though I would like too. How do you afford it and what company do you use.

5. Landscraper1

Tufts. It is a large expense but, with Oboma in office, you will be forced to provide it or get fined.
    I had no problem offering it before the economy down turn. Now, many are lowballing, which has made profits go down.

6. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

You will NOT be forced to provide HC for your employees unless you have more than 50 working for you. You will get a 35% tax credit for your HC this year and in 2014 you will get a 50% tax credit for your HC......thanks to Obama.

7. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Or unless you are a construction based company with a payroll in excess of $500,000.

8. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

9. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

Al,
    I don't believe that is correct. Originally it was 250,000, but that was thrown out at the last minute and the min 50 employee was adopted without at payroll limit. Besides, we're in the agri business and not the construction business.

Landscraper....I agree with your accountant. When I lived in MA I paid for my lead employee's HI thruough the winter when he collected and learned the hard way it was not worth it. Let them pay through the winter...

10. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

No that held, and those who do more installs then mait are considered const co's. I got an email from my accountant about it when the bill passed.