Who raised prices b/c of gas?? Now what??

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by PTOhioMower, Apr 19, 2005.

1. gogetter

gogetter Banned

This is exactly the reason you don't tell them you're raising prices because of fuel, but rather becuase of cost of living, increased costs of doing business, etc. But you don't give them one specific reason, especially something that fluctuates like fuel.

2. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

I agree,,,, The big wheels / Gov, have the "people" so F'd up they think $2.08 is a good deal after seeing $2.20 last week around here.

I raised most of my prices mainly because of fuel & certainly won't be lowering them.

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

EXACTLY!!!

EVERYTHING is going up in price. Vehicles, Insurance (all), mowers, tools, labor, and lastly....gas.

4. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

That is where the fuel surcharge shines. Its ONLY in effect for me if prices get over $2.00 per gallon. This is ANY time during the month. But if they fall, I do not charge it.

5. PTOhioMower

PTOhioMower LawnSite Member

Very good advice. Thank you!!

6. PTOhioMower

PTOhioMower LawnSite Member

Gas here was up to $2.44 about a month ago and have been steadly falling. Its down to $1.90.

Link on gas prices here .

7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Gas here has dropped 40 cents in the last 2 1/2 weeks.

8. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

What Rod said....... The only problem I am having is my proposals (3 carbon from last year. I ordered way to many) have a gas surcharge at $2/gal. Everyone is starting off with a fuel surcharge :).

9. Duramax99

Duramax99 LawnSite Member

The gas surcharge is the way to go but I would boycott ExxonMobil becuase they get most of their oil from Iraq and Suadi Arabia. When all of us are tring to figure out what to do about rasing cost of gas. ExxonMobil are posting their highest profits ever in United States history by a publicly traded company.

10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I did the fuel surcharge last year. This year I raised prices on most. A few I was already doing very well with, I left alone.

Fuel prices are not really going down. In reality, if most of us have been in business a while, we priced our jobs originally based on a gas factor or $1.25 or less per gallon. I had a figure of $1.75 per gallon to be my point for a surcharge. It took 3 yrs for that to happen. I used the surcharge then, but face it, it will never be $1.75 or less again. With everything at $2+, it was just time to make adjustments.

No complaints from anyone so far. If they don't like it, they can take a hike.