Who raised prices b/c of gas?? Now what??

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by PTOhioMower, Apr 19, 2005.

1. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

It's not so much the price of gas that affects our bottom line.

Rather, like I said above, it's everything else that goes up around it. Anything that touches a truck, train, or boat has increased in price. Just because of the Fuel crisis, other "things" increased in price substaintialy. That is what we need to raise our prices for, not the 6/10's of a gal of gas per yard.

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Im with 65hoss, I had most of my prices based on gas at $1.25, last year I just ate the extra cost unless I got a n ew customer then they got the new hourly rate. This year everyone got a $2.50 increase on their mow because I was a little too cheap to start with, Insurance prices have almost doubled on me and gas was about $1 higher than it was 2 years ago. I had a few customers that were paying above what I wanted to make and they saw no change in there cost

3. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC LawnSite Senior Member

Everyone this year has gotten a $2.00 increase. Most customers understood, some did not. The ones that did not seem to think I am doing this for the fun of it and my health. They got booted on the spot.

4. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

It goes down a few cents for a couple hours or a day and then goes up like 20 or more cents a gallon.

I raised all my prices this year because the COST OF DOING BUSINESS has went up, not just gas, everything.

Also have a clause that if it tops a certain mark a surcharge will be added until it goes down...

5. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

Its has dropped a bit here $2.17 for reg is the lowest ive seen most places are around $2.21.Just heard prices may be going back up some though

6. nitrotim

nitrotim LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

One of the things I don't understand is that I see guys adding a 5 dollar gas surcahrge. I am bordering on about 34 customers right now I know my gas cost hasn't gone up 170 a week. I added a dollar to each statement and if gas comes down I will make changes to that. I know that if I added a five dollar surcharge to each customer I would miss 170 a week alot more than 34.

7. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I just added 1$ to 3$ on most of my customers. That way I dont have to give it back if prices come back down. I just dont like the idea of sticking it to people for what is not their fault