Who Runs a Bad Boy?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TheKingNJ, May 10, 2004.

1. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

I'm looking to get a new rider or two. The bad boy's have great prices and i know every once and a while i hear someone going on about how great they are. I really like them but have never seen one and don't know of any dealers. My mechanic (and good friend) says it's a P.O.S. but everything is crap to him unless it is an exmark. He isn't happy if I don't buy the best but he don't realize I don't have a wallet for the best right now.
    So how do you guys like the bad boys?
    How do they compare to Scag or Exmark?
    If anyone doesn't like them, what don't you like about them?
    How's the cut?
    Any other info on them I would love to hear.

I'm thinking about the model 6000 or the Pup 6000 25 Hp.
    Is the model 6000 worth the extra 1500 for the 27 hp liquid cooled kawi. Vs. The pup's air cool 25 hp Briggs?
    Thanks guys.

2. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I'm looking at BB also. I am trying to fit in a demo. That price is hard to beat. Almost 2k less than an Exmark.

3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

i would demo one. I was thinking of one before i bought my exmark. I am glad i got my exmark, because i saw a bad boy in action today and from the looks of it couldnt be a week old. I was very unimpressed with the cut, and the operator was crawling.

4. bayoulawn

bayoulawn LawnSite Member

I have a 52" Bad Boy and I love it and my next Z will be a Bad Boy. Check out their website. The swingaway design is second to none. Everything is very accessible. You dont have to take this off to get to that. Mine has the 27 kawi and it has awesome power. I have never seen it cut when it was less than exellent.
    Since the mower "couldnt be a week old" maybe it was operator error on inexperience. All of the ones running around my area do fantastic jobs on cutting. I have no regrets about purchasing mine. The guys at Bad Boy are very friendly and are eager to answer any and all questions you may have. But ultimatley it will all come down to a "local" dealer. They are adding new dealers all the time from what I understand. You can buy directly from their website though. Direct from the manufacturer. Like I said checkout their website. www.badboymowers.com. They have a message board so any questions you have can be answered fairly quickly. If you call them ask for Wes Hubbard, as he is the guy I have talked to and he is very knowledgeable about all their products and will do what it takes to take care of you. He's a great guy to deal with. Give one a try, you wont regret it.

5. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

Ilooked hard at them before purchasing my Grasshopper. My only issue was dealer support or lack there of. I am only 1.5 hours from the factory but that doesn't help when I need a part in 10 minutes. I would liked the machine its self but couldn't risk the down time if for any reason it was to go down.

Tim

6. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

WE run two 72 AOS 31 hp now. Use the BAD BOY as in our part of country no dealer support for any full time person. With the BAD BOY you don't need that support.

7. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Really like the idea of easy access.

78_1_s.jpg

8. bayoulawn

bayoulawn LawnSite Member

They are exellent machines!!!!!

9. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys. I don't know what i'm going to get yet. I know I would feel much better with my lazy butt on a turf tiger but for the price of the bad boy I really need to consider it. I wish I could find somewhere to demo it. I don't care if it's the best mower out there i'll be happy with it as long as it is a good mower. I know that you get what you pay for so.

10. mattdaggett

mattdaggett LawnSite Member
    from TX

I could not be more happy. It has the advanced chute system, that you can open and close with a handle sitting in the seat. This is one stout machine, I can't imagine what could break. I bought a demo model with 114 hours. I looked at exmark, toro, gravely. It is similar to the gravely 200 series but stronger built with ingenious design. It is like new. Some of the best features are the electric deck lift, adjustable seat, 1/4" deck, Dual oil coolers, very fast ground speed for traveling 9qt reservor, Purchased directly from manufacturer. Dealer in my area is not critical to me. Bad Boy employees were great to deal with. hope this helps