1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Who runs an exhaust brake?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by South Florida Lawns, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Mine is a BD brake and the controller than senses throttle position isn't accurate. I have a manual 6spd so I don't have to worry about a torque converter.

To make a exhaust brake effective it has to be as close to the turbo as possible and you have strong valve springs.

2. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

I have one on my C4500 and its great!

3. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

I have a BD in my F450 and I can't stand it, it never works in the cold weather and it will only work 3 times and then it stops. But when it does work, it's fun.
    But I want a Dodge 5500 instead.

4. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

5. CrystalCreek

CrystalCreek LawnSite Bronze Member

OK. I love the Jake just as much as the next guy. But will putting one of these knock off butterfly exhaust valves really make a pick up sound like a Peterbilt. I would think it would sound like a big woosh of air. Please inlighten me. If I could make my Ford diesel sound like those big petes, than I would do it in a heartbeat.

6. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

need the in-line 6 or 8 bangers for that legendary sound

7. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

If you want it to sound like a pete buy a pete
    now way in hell to make a pick up sound like that

8. FordLawnLandscape

FordLawnLandscape LawnSite Member

Discard anything Ferrit Mouse said. They'll save u ALOT of money on brake jobs ! Have a factory Jake on my NPR , I know the aftermarket brakes are prob. better but I love mine. Drive w/ it on all the time.

9. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

My 2003 npr diesel has one, it works very well!

10. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

some of the engines im on have them, definately help on a large/heavy load. they'll just about stop the engine w/o hitting the brakes.