Who"s Who?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by stevegeraldo, Nov 7, 2005.

1. stevegeraldo

stevegeraldo LawnSite Member

I Met This Nice Fellow Edward (ed) Haynes, He Works For Service Magic Co.hes"offered To Set Me Up With A Web Site & Regs Me In(sm ) Chg Aprox,$90. Then Provide Leads He Gets Through His Co,in Co (from A National Web Site) Through My E Mail,cell Ect.....chargs A Small Fee For Each Lead No Matter What Happins (job /nojob ) Takes His Fees Right Out Of My Ck Acc Regulary. Does Anyone Have Any Coments, Anything Would Be Helpfull,thanks,in Advance. Steve
  2. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like he's stealing from the company he works for, and trying to run a scam to others....

there's a phone number you can give him to register his project,,,

It's 1-800-EAT-****

I would direct him there..
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

There are plenty of outfits out there that do this.They act as nationals, then call services to do chains like Rite Aids and such. Some of them just get "leads", no matter what they are, then charge you for them, even if they aren't worth a hill of beans. These guys work in numbers (large volume) and take advantage of alot of people in doing so. It is like the "get rich quick" schemes like you see on tv, but they market people in any type of service business. It doesn't matter HOW many "leads" he gives or doesn't give you, because he's already got your 90 bucks at that time, and he's one up on you. He just moves on to the next. I can't speak for this guy, but I know for hard fact how so many others work. I'm sure there are some more seasoned professionals on here who have dealt with or had contact with one of these guys. I get calls by outfits like this on the phone once in awhile.
  4. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

I wasn't sure it would work, but I liked the "pay per lead" idea. So I prepaid for 10 leads for $100 or something like that. I did it last year, and picked up about 5 lawn accounts, and a couple of larger one-time jobs. I can't close every lead, but it is a lot like advertising. I also got a couple of fall clean-ups. I did it again this year, and got about 10 new lawn customers, probably because I started earlier in the year.

On the negative side, they push you to accept leads from too big of an area, so some of my leads were too far away. And you have to fight them to credit the fee for leads that are sent incorrectly (happened to me twice). They also don't have good categories for the customers to choose. I was getting leads for "trim tree or shrub" but when I called the customer, it was for tree work.

But I stick with it. It works ok. And it is reasonably priced compared to advertising.