Who said "There is no such thing as a stupid question"

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by rcreech, Aug 28, 2008.

1. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I'm sorry, but I think there are a lot of stupid question's! Maybe it is just because of it being a somewhat stressful time or something, but I am getting too many! I think part of it is I am growing so fast I am losing the "personal touch" and also getting people that I don't even know! I am not sure....but there are some real dandies out here (pun intended)! :laugh:

I had a customer ask me today why his lawn is turning brown.....

I said....well, if I had to guess, I would say maybe because be have only had about 1.5 inches of rain in the last 2 months and its going dormant. :dizzy: He said...."Well I thought that is why I hired you....to keep my grass green"!

WOW!

Why is it that is someone gives you $50 they expect their lawn to be green? Do they think we are magician's?

Anyway....what is the dumbest question you have ever gotten from a customer?

2. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Rodney, I get this inference a lot. And here's my DEADLY EFFECTIVE response every time:

"If I were to find you dying of dehydration and I hand you a multivitamin - how much good is that gonna do you?"

Works every time.

3. pinto n mwr

pinto n mwr LawnSite Senior Member
    from gr8, mn

dumbest quesion?.... Everytime, at the same jobsite, although it happens at others, is what are you doing?

I don't know, what did I do the last time that I spoke to the same person. The same person time after time, years upon year asks the same question, what are you doing?

Once told them that I'm spraying round-up. What's that? Kills everything!!! Ha!Ha!

4. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

NICE analogy!

I like that! :)

5. grenskpr

grenskpr LawnSite Member

"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people who ask questions"

Bill Murray- Stripes

6. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Gotta love Bill Murray. I still love Groundhog Day.. and The Man Who Knew Too Little.

:laugh:

7. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

My wife put a little sticker on our fridge, it says; "If there's no such thing as a stupid question, what kind of questions do stupid people ask?"

I get stupid questions and complaints regularly. Here everyone has irrigation. You need to to have more than dirt and sage brush. At least 3x per year I get a call from someone who "has" grubs, or "has" a strange fungus. I show up to check it out and notice little rings of green around each sprinkler head, so you could stand in the street and easily locate every pop-up head. Everything else is baked.

"Sir/mam, you have a watering problem." It is amazing how often they don't believe it. I have to show them core samples and have them measure the water coverage to get them to believe it.

8. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Thought of another stupid question that I've been asked a few times. I spray shrubs/trees for bugs, occasionally fungus/disease. I have a sprayer dedicated to this purpose. It has never had a herbicide in it. It has the word "Shrub" decaled on the sides.

About once every other year or so, I'll have a client come out and ask me; "This isn't going to kill my shrubs is it?"

I should answer, "What? These are shrubs? I thought they were weeds."

I also was at a bid once, the homeowner lady asked me if I hired Mexicans. She said she didn't want any Mexicans working on her property, didn't trust them. The weird thing about this was that she was a Mexican. Married a white boy accountant and was now above associating with her former countrymen.:laugh:

9. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

While spraying Hemlocks with horticultural oil, the neighbor stops me and asks, "Will that stuff ....(pause to inhale on his cigarette).... harm me?"

10. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

"What are you puttin' down? " "Fertilizer."
    "Is this the last one for the year?" (asked Aug 26th. )