Who says 21" can't look good?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mottster, Apr 18, 2004.

1. mottster

mottster LawnSite Member

Thought I'd share a panorama i took of a yard i mow on Sundays. John Deere JX75 did all the grunt work.

law.jpg

2. lawnmedic1

lawnmedic1 LawnSite Member

Whers the stripes??? All I see is wheel marks!!! Just kidding:blush: :blush:

3. lilred731

lilred731 LawnSite Member

Looks like one the yards that I cut on Thursdays. I also perfer to cut it wth a 21" Toro. Just like the way it looks, so do the homeowners. .:rolleyes: Looks good by the way

4. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I dunno who said a 21" can't look good but why would you waste your time using one on that size lawn? ;)

5. mottster

mottster LawnSite Member

Because a 21" is all i have to use. :p

6. Rather Be Fishing

Rather Be Fishing LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Looks nice to me.).:) Backyard?

Hmm, I've worked for outfits that would run a pair of 48's or a 72" on that little piece of prime looking real estate and have 3 guys out of there in and out under 10 minutes. As it is I'd be tempted to do it with a 36" but I've had a few accounts where time and money worked out well enough to get by with a 18-22" cut. The end result is noticable, I've considered taking on about 10 "conservative" properties and buying a new mower to use on them, I like the looks of the newer Cub Cadets with the front casters and Kawasaki 6.5hp engines. (I'll need to try a search, it's been awhile since I logged on).

Nice work, good pic.

7. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

you have a great mower.

I started out with a JX-85 which for some reason John Deere doesn't' make any more.

The only difference in the JX75- and the JX-85 are an oil filter and aluminum wheels, in place of the plastic ones.

I thought I killed it once when I backed over it and cracked the aluminum deck....I found out that I could order a replacement, and she was good to go.
    It's got a great little 5-speed transmission you can shift on the fly.

That machine will produce quality results, and you will make money with it...

The only thing I didn't care for much, on some damp yards, after a rain, the hard rubber tires left their mark on lawns.

It is pretty heavy, about 100 lbs...

The only option you should concern yourself with is the oil filter kit upgrade, it will extend the life of your Kawasaki engine. The dealer might have sold it already installed.

The aluminum wheels can be pricey....

I still keep that mower, and would never sell it...I keep it up, but lack of use is hard on the cables....I end up replacing them every year...

by the way, do you have the mulch plug for your machine? They also sell a side chute discharge that fits on the rear of the mower.

8. grassredneck

grassredneck LawnSite Member

I have a Toro Pro-Line 21" and it's a great mower-Not too sure it's worth 1000$ but I was dumb and thought I needed it, Well, I use it around pools on the high end accts and it's the best push mower I've used. I have a few yards like that in Atl and they've been asking about a reel mower so I may have to get one if they're not happy w/the Toro's work

9. mottster

mottster LawnSite Member

Yeah, that yard is one of 9 i do on my own on sundays. Mon-Sat i Work for a Lco in town as their crew leader. Use 42 and 48" walkers, 48" snapper w/b, and a 61" Husqvarna ZTR there and still like the look of the yards i do.

This is the 3rd year i've had this JX75. Best mower i've ever used. Have had problems with the cables myself. Plastic tires are worn to the nubs but it keeps on checking. Planning on getting a second and letting my dad have this one. I do have the mulch plug for the mower but none of the upgrades.

Parking on this property is around the back so the backyard is small. Here's a pic...

p4180011.jpg

10. grassredneck

grassredneck LawnSite Member

I won't buy another Honda until they put on decent wheels, Seems to be an issue with many LCO's-The Toro has real rubber tires that are replaceable independent of the wheel itself but you pay for the privelege