1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Who Says Landscapers Can't Get Justice

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Sean Adams, Dec 3, 2005.

1. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

2. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Well....I don't think Wayne Oakland is out of business any longer. Sounds like another case of city officials trying to weasle out of a contract so they can pad their own pockets with the surplus money in the budget which should have been paid to the landscape contractor.
  3. The Cowboy

The Cowboy LawnSite Senior Member

The city officials don't care a hoot about the latest tax hike, except that it did not pad their pockets like the last one.

Here in Illinois we say Chicago politics is the Best game in town. Except for today. Go Packers!. I cant believe they did so poorly today. :cry: :cry: :cry: :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: :angry: :angry: :mad: :mad: :mad: :cry:
  4. Eurosport

Eurosport LawnSite Member
    from Canada

Good for him. Must have been one hell of a battle though.
  5. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Probably in the business of sipping drinks on the beach while his grass is cut at his estate.
  6. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Yep, it's a sad state of affairs when a Michigan firm can be awarded millions, but a doctor or hospital in Michigan has a $650k limit on punitive damages (in Michigan, but soon to be coming to a state near you!).
  7. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

What's worse is that people in the U.S. today feel so powerless that they refuse to get off their dead a**es and fight the gov't for their rights. As voters we have the power to make change, but to make that change the public needs to speak up as a whole. Another thing everyone has forgotten is that public officials can be removed from office prematurely, but the public has to work as a cohesive unit to demand their resignation. IOW, somebody has to get the ball rolling or the general public will never have a chance of being heard.

It would be interesting to see how fast our gov't officials would straighten up after firing about half of them.
  8. northeastpropertymgmt

northeastpropertymgmt LawnSite Member

it said that they offered to settle for 1 million out of court but the town wonted to fight it the town lost out big
  9. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

Unfortunately, Wayne Oakland is still out of business." but after they paythe lawyer they'll be sitting in 10million...good show..good job...Contracts work..

Grass mech....you have to remember. that the orignal amount due was just around 700,000, and since interest on courts is allowed to be around 18-20% per 30 days, it would put you in the ball park of 15 million....The landscaper did nothing wrong....so hes due his money plus interest. why should he not be able to get his money back plus interest for a city screw up that cost him his livelyhood....

I don't think any doctor goes into surgery hoping to injure any one...not malicious, the working on the human body isn't like twisting wrenches on a small block chevy....but I feel that city seemed very malicious in their intent to screw over the little guy....
  10. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I'm not saying he's not due his money. He is. I'm merely pointing out that there is a limit on punitive damages in MI. No matter what a jury awards the plaintiff, it is reduced to a limit of $650k.