Who sells workman's comp in Texas

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Feb 24, 2004.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

This is like pulling teeth trying to get a quote for workman's comp insurance. I called an agent who sells Texas Mutual back on January 21st. She said it would take about 30 days to get a quote from them. No quote yet. Called her yesterday. She said she'd follow up. I hear nothing. Call her back this morning. Still nothing. I call Texas Mutual directly. The agent dropped the ball by not telling them what they needed to know back on January 27th. I explain that I'd like to use another, more repsonsible agent. The Texas Mutual lady recommends I don't do that because it will further delay the entire process. Midway thorugh this phone call, I feel like I'm working at the friggin' phone company again.

So I call another agent. He sells Lloyds and he sells Texas Mutual. He said he could have me a quote within a week from Lloyds.

A week???

Should I assume that I am the only landscaper they've ever insured for workman's comp? Why is this so time consuming??? I could understand a one week turn around if I was asking them to build me a new patio with retaining walls and selet plant materials and draw color pictures. But this is simply a numbers game. Why a week???

Does anyone sell workmans' comp insurance in Texas who knows what the fugg they're doing? Name & phone number of agent, please.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

2. houston

houston LawnSite Member

DFW

Try these guys out. They have been recomended to me by several people. They have a Dallas office. :)

http://www.hotchkissins.com/

Keep me (us) informed.

3. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

I called Hotchkissins, spoke with a representative and she said she'd have me a quote later today or tomorrow morning.

Thanks for the information.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

4. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

Well, the Hotchkiss Insurance rep called me back, quoted a price and I signed up. Very easy. 8.4% through Hartford and she said that would go down by 10% next year when they group me with all the other landscapers.

They also had the best rates on GL that I've been quoted yet.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper