1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Who seriously does not stop working for winter?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by mrusk, Sep 10, 2007.

1. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Here is the deal. I am starting a 12 week project sometime around the last week of september. Thats pushes us to sometime between christmas and new years to finsh. I am alittle nervous about running into bad weather and not being able to finsh. THIS HAS to be finshed before spring since spring is booked solid.

I know there are some guys who work all year round here. What procautious do you take? What should my game plan be? We are doing, walls (both masonry and srw), 2k sf ft pool deck, 600 sq ft in walks, etc etc etc. Walls have to be done before flat work. Should i go in and get the srw walls done first and prep all the flat work base first, so i atleast have the base down incase we get frost?

I am just trying to do the job in away that if it goes below 32 degrees we are not screwed to bad.
  2. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Get blankets for the masonry to insulate the heat. Use a little less sand too and no anti freezing agents as they tend to cause efflorescence. If it is okay to go in and get the base started I would suppose thats a good idea but don't know if the customer would be so hot about the idea.......come in, make a mess, leave and come back later.

I work straight through winter. Hope to pick up more land clearing work then anything......easy money and good cold work.
  3. Woodland

Woodland LawnSite Member
    from Maine

If you get into real trouble, you could erect tarp tents around parts of your work and use torpedo heaters to keep above freezing. This probably wouldn't be real productive over large areas, but in a pinch it might be an idea. Also, the insulated tarp idea. Concrete guys use them alot this far north after they poor, to keep the concrete from freezing before it sets.
  4. mrusk

I would not start the base and leave. Normally, i start from the back of the house and work out. I would just do things in a different order.
  5. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

I would definately get your walls in and base work completed before freezing temps set in. The sand will freeze, but you can make a tent over the pile and torpedo heat it to keep it soft. The biggest problem you will have is compacting the pavers into the sand setting bed because it will get a crust on it once you screed it and not allow interlock.

P.S. Once your stone freezes, it's all over! Don't try to make it work, because as the ice crystals melt in the spring, it leaves room for settling.

6. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I think you would run into problems with your material freezing, and ability to compact if there is frozen H20 in the ground. I had always planned on doing what tthomas said if that situation arose. Get my base & 1st course in before frost hit, build the wall in the winter. Same with patio, only I would put the dump truck filled with concrete sand in a heated garage a couple nights before, and lay pavers in winter. But I have not done this yet:confused:
  7. mrusk

I am not laying pavers. Its all 18x18 travertine . So i do not have to compact them. Most likely i think i will end up spending the time to build tents and run heaters.
  8. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I think we are due for a harsh winter...Are you really going to try this? I'm not suggesting you would be rushing through it, but wouldn't it be easier to add to your staff and make it a 8 week job?
  9. mrusk

I am trying to add to my staff and get a 6 man crew but its not looking to good. With 6 guys i could do it in 8 weeks. I am going to keep on looking.

Without a doubt, i think we will have a harsh winter too.
  10. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

we have had success on a small scale using water with calcium chloride mixed in. we pour it over the area that we are going to excavate. it melts the frozen ground and keeps it from re-freezing. maybe you can spray the bedding sand with a back pack sprayer to keep that frozen crust from forming. a roofing torch is a good tool to have on hand too.