1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

who sharpens blades like this way?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by fromTEXAS!, May 26, 2005.

1. fromTEXAS!

fromTEXAS! LawnSite Member

I use a bench grinder then after that put the blades on a chisel sharpener and it really makes a nice mirror sward like finish and man it is extremely sharp! i sharpened on my 21 and went to mow for a lawn some wooden round sphere was in the way didnt see it so ran it over geuss what? is was in tiny itty bitty pieces. a normal sharpening would just cut the wooden sphere in quarters or big chunks. so from now on im using the chisel belts and need to go down at lowes to get some more they are about 3 to 4 bucks a piece!!
  2. fishinman22487

fishinman22487 LawnSite Member

I'm thinking about buying me a bench grinder. Do you remember how much you paid for yours and where ya got it? Im gonna see what Home Depot has.
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Hmmm, I been using a circular hand-held grinder and it does ok but the problem is they don't make a wheel with a fine enough grit. So coarse grit it is and if I use a real light touch it does ok but I might check into a chisel sharpener, I like what you're saying.
  4. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think I will try your way, sounds pretty sweet....
  5. LightningLawns

LightningLawns LawnSite Senior Member

what does a chisel sharpener look like? I've never heard of that before
  6. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Topsites, they do make wheels with fine enough grit, they just aren't real common. Go to a local welding supply shop and they should have them, like in a 280 grit. Also, try the flapper wheels that Norton makes, they rock!
  7. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

go on ebay and buy a used or new oregon blade grinder. a dedicated blade grinder will pay off in the long run. saves time and money.
  8. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Make sure your balancing them too. That's why I just take em to my dealer for 2-3 bucks a blade they come out sharper than new and balanced. Stay sharp almost as long as new ones. Your grinders if they get the blades hot ruin the heat treating and some of you may notice they don't stay sharp nearly as long. Try that 30 buck wet sharpener from lowes. Slow buut keeps it cool. Balance is a major factor in spindle life.

Just my opinion
  9. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

10. fromTEXAS!

fromTEXAS! LawnSite Member

well the chisel belt goes on a rubber type wheel to hold the belt then you turn on the motor and round it goes!