1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Who should pay for it?? Sprinkler head clipped?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jccordes2, Jul 3, 2008.

1. jccordes2

jccordes2 LawnSite Member

We / I Clipped a irrigation top that was stuck in up position, meaning the head was raised as it was spraying but did not go back down, meaning dirt in the lines??
    My question for you guys is who shoud pay for it??
    I was nice/responsible enough to call customer and let them know we damaged a head cause it was up.
    I received a invoice for $50 to repair from his Irrigation guy. ( He actually deducted $50 from his May invoice from us) B.S??

2. Self_Paid1

Self_Paid1 LawnSite Member

Next time just fix it your self or flag something like that:weightlifter:
  3. jccordes2

If I knew he was going to bill me for it I would have fixed it my self. What do you mean flag it?
  4. MowHouston.com

MowHouston.com LawnSite Member

Flag it with one of those annoying marker flags that you always see out before someone digs a ditch. I hate those things :)

I just trim around those to make it obvious.

By the way, you'll probably be paying for it. Whether it was up or not you, or whoever was mowing should have known better than to try and run over it and hope to miss it by a few inches.

Cold hard truth. Lessons learned I guess.
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

My take is that's a tough call but I don't totally like the customer's attitude, either.
    Personally if I break it I feel responsible, but to send me a bill or just to 'dock' it from the check that's a bit 'ahem' too.

Now I replace them myself, no questions asked, no more problems.
    Uhm actually yes there is, the 'adjustment' :laugh:
    But that usually goes over easy.

Now case like this...
    I don't know what to say really...
    I do like the flag idea.
  6. jccordes2

Thanks for the reply's guys.
    When the grass is long, you can't see a liitle black tip the size of a nickel in the grass!, we didn't try to mow over it, we could'nt see it!
    $50 is rediculous to replace!!!
    Hunter heads are Like $8 to $10. Maybe 15 minutes to replace??
    I'll be replacing them in the future.........or just pretend it never happened.....J/K
  7. MowHouston.com

MowHouston.com LawnSite Member

This is kinda the reason that I love billing to credit cards. Its -my- job to adjust invoices, not them.

Like the other day: My mower and my customer's back door mat had an exchange of words... Long story short, the mower won. I dropped them an email to say I would replace it (it was old and faded anyhow)

The guy calls and says I can just take the mow off of the invoice in exchange ($30 value). No thanks.

Found his mat online for $12. Silly customer.
  8. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

The answer is simple.

My agreements state that I'm not responsible for malfunctioning sprinkler heads, and ones that do not retract fall into the category of malfunctioning.

If that's not in your agreement, then technically you're responsible for replacing it.
  9. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Wish I could send the newspaper a bill every time they give me bad news. Does he eat at restaurants, then waits to pay until he goes home to dump it? I hate it when someone decides how much to pay for my services without asking me first. If it happened to me (and it has) he'd be looking for someone to mow his lawn next week when I didn't show up. $50.00 is way to much to pay for something I could fix myself. If one sticks more will stick. You will keep paying and paying him to mow his lawn.
  10. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

There is a reason they are called underground irrigation systems. If the head was stuck in the up position, it was malfunctioning like was mentioned earlier.

There is no way in he!! we should be looking for all the heads that haven't retracted. Especially with some of these dipschitz that overwater and the grass grows 5" on one week.

None of us would take on a new lawn if the customer said that some of the heads stick up and that we are going to have to pay for the repair if we hit one.