who snowplows with their zturn or tiger cub???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by padude2004, Oct 21, 2004.

1. padude2004

padude2004 LawnSite Member

i will have a ton of sidewalks this year to plow/shovel/blow. i can buy some used 10 hp snowblowers and crawl down the block or buy a tiger cub this fall instead of the spring and plow the sidewalks off in 1/4 the time. anybody have zturn plowing experience?

2. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

No I dont have any experience with plowing on a ztr but it does sound better then walking behind a snowblower. Especially if you can get done in a fraction of the time, but the one bad thing is that you are still outside in the elements. I know that my mother in law has a cover that goes over here JD snowblower and just has an opening in the back for the operator but it gets hard to see out of the plastic when the snow starts sticking to it.

3. HayBay

HayBay LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I have a cub cadet with 54" plow attachment.

I have used it for personal plowing last year and it worked decent. I have a set of agressive tires filled with windshield washer for the back of the machine.

If you are trailering your snowblowers then I see no problem in bringing your Ztr.

I don't want to carry a trailer behind me in the winter so I may or maynot use the Ztr for Customers.

You will be able to plow 3-4 inches with the ztr after that you will have problems. Backdragging didn't work well with my setup.

4. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Great idea in concept but a couple of things worry me.

Everything is so expensive when it comes to ztrs

New snowblower about $800
    New wheel motor for ztr about $800

Engine for snowblower $400
    Engine for ztr $ 2000 +

Whats scares me most about the idea is, when youre cruising down the sidewalk plowing and you hit a water cap or crack in the sidewalk.

I can see a ztr frame tweaking or bending verrrrrryyy easy if you hit something with a plow. After that, even if you bend the machine back, you probably will never be able to get it to cut perfect again.

I would love to try it but an $8000 precision cutting machine is a little too much of a gamble for me. If you had an old one that you were going to retire from mowing I would definately give it a try./

5. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Don't live where it snows but am curious, are you just going to use a blade or a snowblower attachment like Toro used to sell?

6. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

There was an exhibitor at the Louisville Expo that sold a blade for the "Z"s. He had one mounted on a Skag Turf Tiger for the show. If anyone remembers the name or booth, jump right in here. I'll have too look through my "stuff" to find it, but I'm sure I've got it......somewhere. Had a trip-spring lease in case you hit something and a rope? for directional control as I remember it. He had a video showing a "Z" blasting down the shoulder of a drive at a pretty good speed. So, yes, it can be done, but do you want to? I'll post his name/address/site as soon as I find it.

7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Its Palmor Products. I think they own trac-vac.
    John
    Also RAD Industries Made winter stuff to.

8. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

Some buy a small ATV and use that for plowing then when there done they go joy riding with it in their yards or pull the kids back up the hill.

9. Aaron Marshall

Aaron Marshall LawnSite Member

This would be my opinion if you want something with a plow. A ATV is much more versital for things like that plus is will hold up better. Another thing to think about is after you get a good amount of snow accumulated in your piles, where are you going to put it, if you are pushing down a sidewalk, its going to build up on the sides and then you will have to make piles at the end of your run, and those too will fill up. I would say a snowblower on the front of a mower is a much better option. I can get a blower for the front of my walker and this would be ideal, but then its very expensive. Just weight out all the goods and bads then make the best decision. Have a good one!
    Aaron