1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Who still lingers in the dark ages

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by 6'7 330, Oct 20, 2006.

1. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

AKA not excepting Credit Cards. If you don't accept CC's, what are you're reasons why?
  2. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

we have had no request for it. We have a couple that pay by paypal though.
  3. Waterscapes By Design

Waterscapes By Design LawnSite Member

Im sure I could get a few customers to let me charge them that way. But the few machines and plans I have been quoted on just didnt seem all that appealing to me....I just felt like they were really gettin me with the lil charges they wanted me to pay, which in turn I would have to pass on to customer....I dunno, do you have a good one I could look at?
  4. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

never had anyone ask. i would need a lot of them to request it to cover the charges on it and the machine.....someday
  5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Yep, absolutely no requests for it around here. If people want convience then they use their computer and pay me through their banks auto pay system. The bank then has a processing center shoot me a check. I think they pay a monthly fee or it's free and they aren't out postage or the hassle of getting off their azz to go to a mailbox!
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

My only problems are as follows:

- The % and the fees... Unless you have larger volumes, it adds up.
    - For use in the field, an old-fashioned 'swiper' is no safer than accepting a check, while a satellite uplink via cellphone costs more.

But all that never excited me, the only thing I really wanted was online payments, woohoo right?
    Paypal and 2checkout are way too expensive. So, to use your own online payment page requires the implementation of SSL (Secure Socket Layer) which involves the installation of some encrypted device on a server. If you are not the server administrator, you will have to use the host's SSL which a keen eye can tell is not your own. Even as server administrator, I tried to install SSL once and found it mind-boggling, and of course there is an annual cost associated with the 128-bit encryption key as well. And yes, they do have free SSL, but omg just look at the wonderful documentation.

P I T A, lol
  7. bugspit

bugspit LawnSite Senior Member

dark ages :confused:

why create or contribute to someone else's debt when cash or debit serves the same purpose?

CC's, don't have them and don't want them.
  8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

In all these years, I have never been asked.
  9. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

We have never had a request for CC. We do EFT with some residentiaals that asked to pay that way. EFT also with the USARC and Church of The Latter Day Saints. Not really excited about the whole CC thing, now if I could get all of my customers to EFT that would be great. I don't forsee this happening though as some are elderly and would never go for that.
  10. Thirdpete

Thirdpete LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

i believe you meant to say "accepting"

haven't had the request. everyone pays by check.