who STILL makes mistakes?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Nov 18, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

just had to tell you guys, WHAT A JACKAZZ I AM!. running around like crazy, bidding leaf jobs, and trying to do them. my add in the paper is attracting about 35 calls a week now, in all different directions. i'm doing estimates, fighting the wind and rain, trying to take care of my own customers, and get new ones. as a result, sometimes i'm in too much of a hurry. bid a leaf job at $275. all i did was drive by, look from the truck, and split, called the guy with $275 +tax, he said go with it. i figured 2-3 hrs, with my 2 man crew. well, was on my way today, called the guy on the phone and said were on our way, he said he will be home at noon to pay me. i said ill be gone by then, he said i dont think so. im thinking, what does he know that i dont know? well, 5.5 hrs later, i finish. back yard had a drainage problem, leaves soaked, matted, just a freakin mess. its not often i screw up a quote, but today, was a biggie. job should have been at least $425. any of u experienced guys still mess up?

2. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry to hear about your situation Bobby. I think we have all been there. Its an honest mistake considering your running in 10 directions but it is one which could have easily been avoided.

Suck it up and move on is my only advice.

Jimbo

3. wrtenterprises

wrtenterprises LawnSite Senior Member

Fortunately for me, I rarely make that kind of mistake. If I am competitively bidding, I never just do a " drive by". As for Fall clean-up, it seems in the past few years I only work for my regulars. I generally make 3-5 trips to each property, so any more than 20-25 customers is too much work for my 2 man operation.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

11 man hours for $275 bobby??? That ain't good my friend. Sounds more like around 6 or 7 bills to me. Actually, when it comes to leaf clean ups, I personally am better at that than any other kind of estimating I have to do.

Next time, don't do a drive by. Get out of the truck and walk the entire property 2 or even 3 times.

5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

yup, i got wooped, but i did it to myself

6. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i walk all properties 2-3 times now when estimating and ask about low spots/sinkholes/craters.

today i lost my *** on one. Bid it @ $100, figured i'd be out in about 1.5 hours. well i didn't anticapate hauling leaves 1/4 mile to this guys "compost" pile through his horse farm. when i gave him the estimate he just pointed to the other side of the house and said "its just over the fence" I ended up using a 10cu ft wheel barrow to move the leaves/pine needs. i must have spent 30 minutes pushing the damn wheelbarrow today. All in all spent three hours there. not good.

7. Booby trust me it won't be your last.Some days you win and some days you lose.Some days its not worth getting out of bed.Just laugh it off.You can always say you wont make that mistake again.And yes I screw up to.And when I do its a whopper

8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have messed up a lot of times with bidding. So that is why I just tell the people the per hour charge for jobs. And they ask me for a price and I tell them the per hour. I have screwed myself over so many times in previous years that this is the way to cover my butt.

9. I am Me

I am Me LawnSite Member
    from D/FW

Missed the mark on a job last week.

Customer asked me to trim some trees in the backyard. ( 1 acre lot) This was not a basic prune job. It required Chainsaw's, and a lot of ladder and rope work. I did the walk through, figured 6 hours total for trim, haul off and clean up.

Missed it by oh...say.... 4 hours!

Not a business line I normally do, but wanted the extra cash. Big mistake. I had to cut my worker lose and finish it solo to make any profit at all. I was ill equipped and that exacerbated the problem.

I swear those trees multiplied!

10. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

welcome to my world LOL!