1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Who still uses push mowers for residential??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jerry Lee, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee LawnSite Senior Member

Just wondering how many people still use push mowers to do the backs of small residentials. We didnt carry a push mower on a trailer all last year and it worked fine. Save time and money by weed-eating the whole back yard.
  2. sikagrass

sikagrass LawnSite Member

I do.I cant see how you can do a quality cut like that although you may come close. As far as fast the 21 will run circles around you unless you are talking a tiny yard.
  3. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee LawnSite Senior Member

I'd like to see your 21 run circles around me but i dont think that will happen any time soon. Sikagrass do you use gaurds on your weed-eaters??
  4. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I use 21"s on small residential lawns.
  5. jklawns

jklawns LawnSite Member

I run 21s on the back yards that have the 28 inch gates I am looking at expanding those gates this year though.
    Jerry Lee what mowers do you use?
  6. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

28" gates ?? I know there may be some odd ball size gates out there, but they are probably few and far between, at least in my area, that I know of !! But here it sounds like you're talking about 28" gates being the norm ... is that right ?? I thought the norm for small gates was 36" !!
  7. B_gerrits

B_gerrits LawnSite Senior Member

I use 21" mowers the average lawn around here is about 700 sq feet. when I first started reading this site I didn't even know what a ZTR was, even True Green doesn't use ZTR's here. Jerry Lee how do you get even cut lawn with a weedwacker?
  8. jklawns

jklawns LawnSite Member

Well I had to expand my gate from a 28" to a 40" so it just depends on where you are. I am upgrading to a 36" mower this year so I will not be taking on many more small gated yards or expanding their gates.
  9. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Wow, this topic has been beat to death this Winter! To the original poster, do a search on threads of the past three months and you will have several days' worth of reading on using 21" hand mowers.

The original question includes "still" in the question. The use of that word implies that 21" hand mowers will fade away at some point. For some places, 21" hand mowers make no sense. For other places, 21" hand mowers are the only mower that has been, and will be used (lot configurations/sizes, terrain, etc). There are too many variables from region to region to make any blanket statements about "always use," or "never use."
  10. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

I still, and will always need a 21". The gates aren't't the problem, they build the houses so close together around here now, that's all that will fit between the houses :rolleyes: but they still have deep lots.