Who stripes better with Gator blades on??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by padude2004, Sep 16, 2004.

1. padude2004

padude2004 LawnSite Member

hi folks,

i realized my 52" scag walk behind stripes better with the gator blades on compared to the factory blades ;) has anyone else had this kind of success????

2. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

yes.

doubles. gators/high lifts.

60" Bob-cat
    52" grasshopper.

Both stripe better than with single hi-lifts.

3. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

So there are different types of gator blades? I run gators on my 52" but don't know if they're high lifts. I just told the guy at the store that I wanted gator blades. I like them but if there are different types of lifts please explaine the reasons. How they cut different, pro's and con's.

4. GreenMonster

from NH

What I meant was I had been running just regular hi lift blades. Then, went to double blade set-up with hi lift on top, and gator on the bottom.

5. Branchland

So how does that set up work for you? With wet grass or leaves or mulching or bagging. Just trying to find out about different set ups and what might work better in different situations.

6. GreenMonster

from NH

This set-up has been working very well. Extremely fine clippings, plus enhanced striping. This combination tends to clump a little bit in wet conditions, although not really any worse than when I was running just hi-lifts.

I haven't used them for leaves yet. I think I will probably take off the hi lifts and just run the gators for leaves. I have only side discharged with this set-up.

7. Branchland

Thank you for the info.

8. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I am new to this also. Would you please explain the double blade set-up and how it works? Can this be used on any mower? And what is the difference between regular and high lift blades?

9. Tony1045

Tony1045 LawnSite Member

On my JD 727A, I run high lifts for regular cutting/striping and Gators/blocked chute for leaves. I prefer the factory high lift blades for regular cutting. I believe they make a better "vacuum" under the deck and stand the grass up for a better cut. The gators seem to leave more uncut grass. However, for leaves, it Gators all the way. Just my opinion. Tony

10. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

My standers greatly improve with gator blades