who supplies an epipen

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by nashlawn01, Jul 19, 2013.

1. nashlawn01

nashlawn01 LawnSite Senior Member

Do any of you guys keep one or two epipens in the first aid. Or if somebody is highly allergic to bees do they bring one of their own

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Aren't they by prescription only?

3. nashlawn01

Yeah but do u pay for it or leave it up to employee? I feel like I should buy it but then it's like buying an asthma inhaler for someone who has asthma.

4. nighthawk117

nighthawk117 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

They are prescription only and if your employee has a bee allergy, they should have one on their person at all times. It's not your responsibility to pay for it.

5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

I don't pay for their meds, I wouldn't pay for this.

You're opening a massive can of worms if you do.

6. Tizzy

Tizzy LawnSite Senior Member

ive got a fully stocked medical bag and AED in the truck.

I cannot and will not purchase epi pens for employees. they are prescribed to them and they are responsible to have it at all times just like an inhaler. that's got liability lawsuit written all over it.

7. nashlawn01

I've got everything first aid but for emergency was thinking about it. I think I will make the ones who are allergic to keep one in truck. I will not be responsible for it. Thanks

8. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Require them to keep one in the truck but not be responsible for it.

What happens if it gets lost or stolen?

You required it to be stored there.

9. nashlawn01

They will be responsible for it. Keep it in their lunch box hide it in their arse lol. Not my problem. I'm not allergic to bees I can lay down in poison ivy and be fine. Knock on wood. Next year the stuff might kill me

10. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

These pens are expensive and employers are not responsible for supplying them.