Who takes the spark arrestors off their handhelds?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Holland, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Holland

Holland LawnSite Senior Member

Took them off an old FS 83 and ht75 that was turned into kombi 2 stroke machine. So much more power! By the way that ht75 old pole saw machine when used as a trimmer is scary powerful!!
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. locallawncare.ca

locallawncare.ca LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I always take them out after they get plugged up, you can clean them a couple times and then they fall apart. They are meant to prevent fires but I dont know if any sparks would ever come out of the exhaust anyways.

3. ddixon7

ddixon7 LawnSite Senior Member

I always take them out. One less thing to cause me problems.

4. Holland

Yep. Those suckers cause so many problems. Damn EPA bs.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i don't take them out on my honda and husqvarna trimmers. they are 4 stroke. i've had the honda 10 years and it's never clogged up. i took it out to check it once after like 5 years and it was almost totally clean.

now on the br600 blower which is 4 mix it clogged up pretty quickly. i took it out as soon as it did. it must have something to do with the oil mix you put in the gas because the no mix 4 stroke engines never do clog up on me.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  6. crazyflyboy30

crazyflyboy30 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

I have a new Husqvarna 580BTS will it boost the power to take it out?
    And make the db's go up to.

7. Holland

The carbon deposits on the arrestor/filter is what slows down and weakens the machines. Not sure if it would make much difference with a new machine. Either take arrestor/filter off or clean it depending on how much use.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. crazyflyboy30

from Alabama

I need to do some test to see what power is of my 580BTS is then take the arrestor/filter off then see what the power is after it is off.

9. ddixon7

ddixon7 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know if a brand new clean screen on a that particular back pack will restrict exhaust flow, but I know even a clean "plug" type screen in the muffler of a trimmer restricts the exhaust flow. I take them out immediately on everything I buy no matter what, because I know I won't be using it long before I gets gunked up...

10. crazyflyboy30

from Alabama

Thank You. I know every thing like that would help sum on the power.
    I see you have (Tanaka 2 stroke handhelds) are they good ? I think LOWE'S has them now . :dizzy:

http://www.lowes.com/Search=(tanaka...atalogId=10051&N=0&newSearch=true&Ntt=(tanaka

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013