who talks about other lawn services

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by williams lcm, May 16, 2013.

1. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

my helper talks about other lawn services as we drive around. He will say look at that crappy job so and so does. Do you guys critique other lawn guys as you see them working. He will point out what they missed or what they screwed up on
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

At least he knows his stuff. I really don't say much unless its totally dumb like at my bank. Newly built last fall new sod as well. Dummies mow it at 2". 4" would have been right. They also took a factory away on another lco and wacked it down to 2". I put feet down at a town home complex and timed them. Took him nearly an hour with s Deere x759 to cut a 50x50 piece
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. jason72g

jason72g LawnSite Member

I do, but I keep it to myself. I think it's a healthy thing to do in order to keep you from making the same mistakes. But you also have to keep yourself humble, because you know they're doing it to your work as well.

4. Caddyshack Lawn Care

Caddyshack Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Shoot, I talk about other LCOs all the time. It's almost always good. I don't see many guys that do such a horrible job. About my only pet peeve is watching them dig ruts when it's wet. Other than that most of these guys do as good or better job than I do.

5. Nate'sLawnCare

Nate'sLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

My son does it as we ride around, but I remind him that some people just want their grass cut and that's what some people do. If they want their grass to look nice, they get us to mow it.

6. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

The areas I work in the fellers generally do super quality work, its hard to compete ate the prices in this aera, but if you don't make your houses look real good someone else will.

7. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

True. I have customers that want a great looking lawn. One that does not fert, water, nothing but have it mowed. So the quality does not alway reflect on the landscaper.

The thing I tend to notice is where the edging whether along the side walk, drive way, patio, curb, there is a 1 inch wide strip of bare dirt between the aforemention surfaces and the grass.

8. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i rarely notice anything done correctly. maybe every now and then. mostly what jumps out at me is the mistakes they all make.

crooked lines, sidewalks not edged or edged poorly with a trimmer, ruts, grass 2ft tall in a ditch because they were too scared they may get stuck and too lazy to trim it down as well, crews using homeowner equipment.

the big surprise is i notice this on major places like banks, schools, restaurants, gas stations, etc.

i notice it on residentials too sometimes but on commercials it just really stands out as they do a bad job.

i don't really talk about it but i just don't understand it alot of times.

9. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

You really have to do something stupid to offend me enough to make me talk about your work. I do not go around checking my competitors workmanship. What I notice more is majorly unsafe work practices or just inconsiderate jerks like the guys wacking crack weeks and shooting rocks and sand everywhere that can't be bothered to look up every few seconds and make sure no one is going to be driving by. I mean god forbid he doesn't get his chance to ruin someones paint job on a new car or truck.

10. Nate'sLawnCare

Nate'sLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh yeah, there's a guy in town that takes care of a shopping center, and he doesn't bother to pick up any trash. He just shreds it with the mower and blows it everywhere, even into the street, then just leaves it :hammerhead: