1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Who tests backflow preventers?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Mike Leary, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Is this a part of your business?

2. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

I would do it if anyone would pay me for it but it's not enforced here, at least for irrigation.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

yes, it turns out a good chunk of change for my pocket.

testing about 400 or so a yr.

residentials are due every other yr. commercial yearly

4. Mike Leary

It should be, the Clean Water Act mandates it. Call your purveyor and the State Dept. of Water Quality and kick some butt.

5. zman9119

zman9119 LawnSite Senior Member

Would love to but our P.O.S. State will not let use "uninitiated" persons do it...

Oh well, our irrigation law expired in Jan 2013 so we all might be out of business unless your a lic plumber.

6. Mike Leary

Is that Illinois? What a stupid-ass deal that is. I attended a lot of backflow meetings up north and realized what a huge lobby the plumbers had; we had zip.

7. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

Havta re license this winter to be up to procedures for the 10th edition
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

I don't have to. I work closely with a plumber/tester who's passion is backflow. He works real hard to make sure everything he works on is up to code and tries to educate everyone who is working with water mains on how to protect their customers and the public.

Watch for a new thread I will be making later. I did a sub job for said plumber today replacing a mickey mouse backflow setup at a mall.

9. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

Most of the people I know that are licensed to test backflows say that it costs more to maintain their license than what they actually make testing them.

10. S.O.Contracting

S.O.Contracting LawnSite Member

Everything gets tested every year and we are RPZ only. Still have a few PVB in service but if they break they have to be replaced with an RPZ.